• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 Questions

Apr 22, 2015
I just bought a 09 m8 at the end of the season, great sled. But wanted a Lil more power. I just did the d&d shim kit in it, and was debating on the full slp pipe kit. My question is do these 2 kits work well together, looking for some feedback on these working together. Also looking for the best route for a fuel controller. Thank you

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I just bought a 09 m8 at the end of the season, great sled. But wanted a Lil more power. I just did the d&d shim kit in it, and was debating on the full slp pipe kit. My question is do these 2 kits work well together, looking for some feedback on these working together. Also looking for the best route for a fuel controller. Thank you

I have ran the slp full kit on my 09 for three seasons. Its been great, never needed a fuel controller. It is a very noticeable difference between my sled and a buddy's 09 stock. Is the shim kit you are referring to the shift assist installed in the driven clutch? I am selling my 09 m to upgrade to a proclimb.. selling the SLP kit separate.. PM me if you're interested.

Apr 22, 2015
M8

No the shim kit I am referring to is the d&d shim kit, that raises the port timing. It comes with shim, 2 base gaskets and a 2.5* timing key.

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
i never played with the shim kit or timing key but i did run just a straight slp pipe set and i was far better than stock. you will definetly need a fuel controller maybe pm racinstation on here and see if he can give yeah a hand with what u need

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
So explain this shim kit? sounds like your lifting the cylinder up with a shim and two gaskets so i assume theres either head work done or different pistons?

Apr 22, 2015
M8

The shim kit consists of a shim in between two base gaskets, that raises the cylinders up, which raises the port timing. Then your stock head gets cut to accommodate the shim. With d&d y pipe on the dyno it's about a 12hp gain. Brings the 07-09 up to the 2010+ specs

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
The other posts refer to the CPC or BDX secondary clutch torsional upgrade, If it doesn't have this you want this upgrade. As for the SLP set up they usually use a Power Commander 5 for this set up. Have not ridden one but I hear it works well. Look on the SLP site bet they have HP #s.

Apr 22, 2015
M8

Yeah I'm gonna go with the pc5. Waiting to here back from racinstation about the tune they have. With the shim kit and full exhaust, hp numbers around 170 on the dyno.

Premium Features