• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what to do? threads are bad on temp sensor bung

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
anyone know what type of threads are in it so i could re-tap the treads, is it a pipe thread or regular. sled is a 09 ,m8 SP. I tried a pipe thread tap but it only cleaned the threads out a little. it was too small. wanted to try a 9/16 18 but it would not start and did not want to ruin it. Seems like a PIA but if I have to I'll cut that 1 out and buy a new bung, where do u even get 1 of those to match the pipe temp sensor threads. Thank u for the Help.

R
Sep 20, 2008
Colorado
m14 x 1.5

Metric - Im fairly sure. Take the temp sensor to the hardware store with you and double check it on a nut. I bought a bolt (m14 x 1.5) and cut grooves in it as i didn't want to buy a tap. Those threads in the bung are fairly deep. I ground off the top 1/8 - 1/4 of the bung and used my bolt to clean up the threads again. The temp sensor felt solid in it.

I bought a nut to weld in case the old threads didn't hold up.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I posted this in another spot also

and it is a 14mmx1.5" d6. I bought a tap last nite at NAPA for $9.

THANK U.

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I remember Alpine Motorsports (Vohk) had these a few years ago, you might give them a ring and see if they still have the replacement bungs. If you want to find the thread count and size just thread the sensor into the proper die.

Premium Features