• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with new M8 clutch

K
Feb 26, 2013
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm fairly new to the world of fixing my own crap.

I've got a stock 2007 M8 with 2400 miles that one of the clutch rollers ground the crap out of one of my weights. I've had a heck of a time trying to find a solution. It seems that it's not much of a repair to be done but I need a whole new clutch?

1. Can it be rebuilt? or
2. Can someone give me some directions on where/what I need for a new clutch.

I ride at 6-7k ft.

Thanks in advance.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
they can be rebuilt with parts listed in diagrams for older cat sleds. however, if you look up the parts for your sled, im sure you see they do not list those rollers. i had the racin station in idaho rebuild mine when one of my rollers went to hell. by the time it was done, they found a few other parts to replace (other than the roller), had to buy a new weight, pay labor, and pay shipping both ways. did i save money compared to a new one, yes i did.....but not alot.

so if this clutch has never been rebuilt, chances are there are other things that will need replacing once it gets tore into. price out a new one and get a quote from a company like racin station that can rebuild it.

things to consider when pricing out a new one. does it come with a spring? does it come with weights?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I agree, if clutch hasn't been replaced I'd buy a new one.

New clutches come uncalibrated. You will need to buy spring, weights and cams and maybe the cam bolts, etc.

Easy to replace the parts.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
They are cheaper than that. Look on country cat's website. Also search the part number on amazon.com. I have found cheep cat parts on there as well

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
if you buy new remember its part # is updated to the new metric clutch and you will need a new puller if you ever want to take it off.

K
Feb 26, 2013
Ended up getting one on amazon for $340 plus had to buy weights, using old spring. Amazon seller also had one listed on Ebay for more $ - go figure.

Funny I've heard a lot of people throw out Country Cat's name but they were around $100 bucks more!

Thanks for all the tips - hope I can get if all figured out now and back on the Mt

R
Nov 26, 2014
North Idaho
I would also replace the spring, cheap insurance for $10-$15. I had a primary spring break on an older arctic cat one time and it sucked watching all my friends having a ball in a huge basin on a sunny spring day while I was sitting there with a broken clutch spring. Just my 2 cents.

J

James42005

Jul 26, 2011
Waterloo, IA
Going thru same issue on 10 M8. Found new uncalibrated clutch on amazon from a dealer in Wisconcin for $340 and free shipping. Order spring, weights and cam arm pin kit from articcatpartshouse. $450 all said and done. I am trading it in now so I put all "stock" parts back in.

Premium Features