• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

steering bushing and re-enforcements for steering post fix

M
Dec 30, 2007
hey all, the adj steering post on my 09 moves around like 1/4 inch on both sides...and is flimsy as hell

what mods can i do to make this tight and bulletproof?
stock steering post bushing is beyond worn our...any upgrade for that?

thanks alot

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fall City, WA
I have the same problem on my 08 and I was just about to make a new thread untill I saw this one. I didnt have any play in the post untill I hit something (I guess) and bent the steering rod that goes from the post along side of the motor, which I have a new one on order for a 2010 HCR which is stronger but ever since then, I can move my bars from side to side about 1/4" so I dont know if whatever wear points on the post are simply worn out or I actually broke something.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
what about the bushing inside the bottom of the post at the tunnel? if i didn't know any better i would say mine doesn't have one. the bottom of my post has been loose since new. i checked out a 2010 and the steering is real tight.

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
my steering sucks and is sloppy, its ok in pow but on a trail you'd better hang on and drive with the throttle, every time it gets evil I goose the gas, it seems to help alot

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Bdx Anti Slop steering post support

Anybody using one of these,
What's the verdict?

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
I put one on and it does help with the support. My post was not bent but just the annoying slop especially in the spring snow. Was thinking about changing the post out before, but it seems like this will be ok. Only a couple hundred miles with it on, but after my first ride bought my friend one also.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Shoulda showed you mine today!

Big difference. One thing, as it wears you can tighten it to keep it from getting sloppy.

Don't think it would have helped you today though...:face-icon-small-sho I Don't see it making the post too much "stronger" aside from making the pivot a larger point, but it sure makes it feel stronger in that there's no bs in the system now.

You missed out on the fun of putting Abby's secondary back on... good times!

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
HA I didn't know you had one! Yeah, welds aren't supposed to break...especially for that kind of $...
This anti slop device wouldn't have helped with that problem.

I am thinking the extra support would stiffen things up, and any support higher up the post HAS to be a good thing.
How thick is that bdx clamp from top to bottom?

Just considering future options...

Dan said her clutch broke??? Sorry to hear it, but glad to see you drive by! We were keeping an eye out for you.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
i ran one most of the season and they do work well for taking the slop out of that mounting point. now my steering just developed slop elsewhere, the gas tank flexes so much with the new steering support on there its almost worse. we had another thread going with some pictures of this brace that goes from the steering support over the pipe and ties into the chasis up in the nose. i'm going to fab one up this summer between both parts maybe i will have tight steering next year!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
HA I didn't know you had one! Yeah, welds aren't supposed to break...especially for that kind of $...
This anti slop device wouldn't have helped with that problem.

I am thinking the extra support would stiffen things up, and any support higher up the post HAS to be a good thing.
How thick is that bdx clamp from top to bottom?

Just considering future options...

Dan said her clutch broke??? Sorry to hear it, but glad to see you drive by! We were keeping an eye out for you.

The unit is a plastic bushing the shape of a ball on the outside which wraps around the post, that gets clamped between the metal part. This could rotate from side to side, nothing keeps it from going sideways, but it's 1" or so tall so you eliminate the pinch point.

Her sec. just fell off. No big deal, but it ground the splines just enough to make it a bit interesting to get it back on!!

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
M sled steering flex/slop problems a possible solution

A few post on here about the notorious steering slop/flex on the M,C & F series sleds. Some of you guys have inquired about one you have seen in the past on a particular M 1000 sled that was at many snow shows. They are infact made by Steve Brandt/Brandt Motorsports/Ratsled outta Vernon,B.C. He does not have them listed with pics or pricing on his site yet but if you view the gallery pics of Project lowlife M1000/2008 M8 Turbo you can see them. It helps with the problem and is a well worthwhile mod to strenghten up that weak sloppy area in the steering flex. Steve is working on mass producing them right now as we speak. They will be made of cro mo tubing right now as cro mo is very strong and light as we all know.

Here is the question to all snowesters that have the problem with this on the M and have read or tried cures for it. The BDX item is a good product for the slop but does it help with the forward flex we all feel as well. I think the Brandt/Ratsled post will help with both the slop and the flex. So if we are all willing to drop the coin on the BDX item,what do you feel is a reasonable price for a better cure in my opinion.

Post some opinion on what you think of this steering support done by Steve at Brandt Motorsports/Ratsled. Think of the price we pay for everything else on mods and post a reasonable price for a great product that will help us all out with the flexy stock steering hoop.

Any questions on them or how to get one pm or email me and can get you set up with an awesome product.

1100Cat

Last edited:
B
Dec 9, 2008
It looks like a good idea and a good product! It doesnt look like its too much to build, So just treat us right and Im sure you will sell the heck out of them!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I'd buy 3 of them if they were priced right.

I think a fare price would be $50-$60, $100 is way to much for 2' of powdercoated chromoly with a couple of welds.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Agree on pricing, at $50-60... with us recommending them, they'd FLY off the shelves. I'd tell everyone I know to get one.. for $100... I'd probably just deal with it. (But I'm sure he would get some sales there too for sure)

Personally, I feel that you need both. There is slop that stabilizing the hoop won't stop, the slop in the bushing is a whole other issue.

The two together I feel would COMPLETELY change how the M chassis would feel!!!

Premium Features