• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do stock reeds hold up to boost?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Like the title says will stock reeds hold up to boost? Ill be running low boost likely 6-8psi but I know from my cat that 8psi was plenty to destroy stock reeds, is the pro the same?

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
The stock Pro reeds do to well. There is always factors that can directly affect them like intake temps but the stocks work very well.

I will never run Boyesen Reeds again as the tips break very quickly.

The best I have seen are the new Vforce 3r reeds which are factory for the Axys chassis 800's. The pedal is not too long, they have pieces to keep them from opening to far and the are Carbon Fiber for strength.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
The stock Pro reeds do to well. There is always factors that can directly affect them like intake temps but the stocks work very well.

I will never run Boyesen Reeds again as the tips break very quickly.

The best I have seen are the new Vforce 3r reeds which are factory for the Axys chassis 800's. The pedal is not too long, they have pieces to keep them from opening to far and the are Carbon Fiber for strength.

I had Boyesen turbo reeds in my cat and they looked perfect after a couple back fires and over a season of riding, but if stock works good then ill just stick with them

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Vforce 3's all the way.

Carl's highly advised against the use of v force on boosted sleds, said they weren't staying together.... Until now. Now the new axys comes with v force so not sure what changed........I've had great luck with the stock reeds running 12 psi. Air to air Intercooler.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Carl's highly advised against the use of v force on boosted sleds, said they weren't staying together.... Until now. Now the new axys comes with v force so not sure what changed........I've had great luck with the stock reeds running 12 psi. Air to air Intercooler.
Well, mine came with Vforce 3's from Carl's so maybe they changed their minds haha. I don't know. Mine didn't have any issues from the previous owner so I'm guessing they are good. Running water to air intercooler. Not sure if that makes a difference

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Maybe I'll pull mine off this weekend and take a look at them. I have to do some work on the sled anyway, so maybe a little research is in order.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Maybe I'll pull mine off this weekend and take a look at them. I have to do some work on the sled anyway, so maybe a little research is in order.

I don't know for sure why they changed their mind so fast. I wanted to get a some reeds to replace mine when I did the top end and found out that you have to buy the entire reed cage assembly from Polaris and that Polaris doesn't make replacement reed petals. Which made me want to get v force so I could just buy their replacement petals when I needed. Upon taking to Chris at Carl's he said not to do the v force and that they had hell with them on boost. But I know carls built sleds last year using v force and now they are on all the new H.O's. Mines not idling like it should so I think the reeds might be giving up..... Prolly buy a set of boysen super stock reeds to replace the reeds on the cages I'm pulling out just to have a spare set on hand. I already purchased the whole new Polaris reed assembly's to install when I do the top end.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I don't know for sure why they changed their mind so fast. I wanted to get a some reeds to replace mine when I did the top end and found out that you have to buy the entire reed cage assembly from Polaris and that Polaris doesn't make replacement reed petals. Which made me want to get v force so I could just buy their replacement petals when I needed. Upon taking to Chris at Carl's he said not to do the v force and that they had hell with them on boost. But I know carls built sleds last year using v force and now they are on all the new H.O's. Mines not idling like it should so I think the reeds might be giving up..... Prolly buy a set of boysen super stock reeds to replace the reeds on the cages I'm pulling out just to have a spare set on hand. I already purchased the whole new Polaris reed assembly's to install when I do the top end.
I'll be sure to take some pictures of the petals and the tips if I get around to pulling them out this weekend.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I ran stock polaris (2011 pro) 10-14 psi change at 1000 miles they looked good tho, friends turbo dragon and one break the tip at around the same mileage area. No damage just put in new set good to go. For what its worth:face-icon-small-ton

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I'm curious about trying the new vforce3r's that are in the axys, would like to try them but at 380 cdn I'm not gonna Guinea pig them

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Turbo performance sells turbo reeds for around $50-60 set. I have them and no issues. Great customer service.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I gave in, will be testing vforce 3r's on my t-pro, I like how the petal is supported when fully open

Let us know how they work! Im ordering a set of the boysens tomorrow, started doing my turbo install pulled the reeds and they were chipped a bit, was going to just do them whenever I had the time later on but since they are already cracked might as well do them before i move forward on the instal!

C
Sep 4, 2011
Most people I talked to a year ago said stay with stock. I have been told to stay away from most aftermarket reeds including Vforce... Unless you run the 3r then I'm told they seem to be holding up really well. With Polaris putting pretty much the same thing in stock on the axys i would think they got it figured out. Again no personal experience here just what I was told. Mine will be getting boosted shortly and I think I will put the 3R reeds in

Premium Features