• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber oil pump pressure guage???

T
Apr 17, 2010
Hello, is it worth while to install a oil pressure guage for the oil pump and run a guage on the dash? Would be great to have something to see if the pump quits..... maybe even a pressure sending unit that turns on a red light? Anyone do this? Or does the turbo get cooked in seconds of the pump quiting? This is the silber journal turbo.....

Thanks!

mtnclimber19

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2008
Sheridan, wy
I believe the oil pump actually pulses when it's pumping so I'm not sure if you would get much of a pressure reading. Oil pump failures seem to be pretty uncommon so I don't think it would be worth it IMO.

T
Apr 17, 2010
I think the internet has me more worried about the pump then i need to be. There is quite a few that have failed that ive read about but thats only a few out of how many silber kits out there.......maybe i wont bother. Thanks!

D

doobie

Oct 13, 2008
Cochrane ab
We ran 15psi eBay fuel pressure gauge T'd into the oil line. Worked great. Cost about 70$ with a nice braided line to turbo. We also did the sending unit with light. Basically it's piece of mind on start up. I think a journal will cook pretty quick with no oil.

D

doobie

Oct 13, 2008
Cochrane ab
The gauge ran between 3-9 psi. Even though the oil pumps strokes the pressure stays pretty constant on the gauge. We tried a 2-12psi sensor from Napa but the vibration wrecked it pretty quick. Ended up using a adjustable pressure switch from a hot tub. The light stays on once it see's pressure. Worked great.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
The gauge ran between 3-9 psi. Even though the oil pumps strokes the pressure stays pretty constant on the gauge. We tried a 2-12psi sensor from Napa but the vibration wrecked it pretty quick. Ended up using a adjustable pressure switch from a hot tub. The light stays on once it see's pressure. Worked great.

are you talking about a new kit for the axys or the older automotive oil pump? I had a pressure gauge on the old kit and it was right at 5 all the time. it saved me one time when I almost ran out of oil from a broken tank cap

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Just throwing it out there, ever consider updating to the style that runs off the 2 stroke engine oil?

T
Apr 17, 2010
I got a really good deal on this 2013 kit and its the journal turbo. I wish i woulda done more research and got a ballbearing or the kpa turbo. I had to custom build this kit to fit in my 09 IQR 800cfi. The turbo has a new center section so i was hoping to run this turbo till it fails and then upgrade.......can i just buy a ballbearing center section and replace my journal center? Will that work or are the housings different?

Premium Features