• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do i have to run race fuel?

L
Jun 3, 2015
hey guys im new to the turbo game, i am getting one that will run 12-14 pounds of boost, my questions are:
-do i have to run straight race fuel or does the race fuel concentrate work?
-what octane do i need to run/get out of the fuel to run this much boost?
-what psi can i run to make half 91 and half race fuel?
-and your views on the race fuel concentrate.

thanks!!

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
What elevation? What compression head? Intercooled or not? If you Havnt asked these questions to yourself then I would advise against a turbo.

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
What elevation? What compression head? Intercooled or not? If you Havnt asked these questions to yourself then I would advise against a turbo.

What this man is saying is very true.... if ya don't have some general knowledge of what's needed to run boost ya better be finding out ahead of time. It will save ya a lot of frustration and money. Do your research.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
12-14lbs needs 120 octane. Anyone who tells you that you can run that much boost, unless it's at 12,000ft+ is full of it. Yea, people do it but they are the ones who sit and watch. They are just mouth pieces that like to brag about how much boost they are running. parking lot posers is what they are.
Anyone rides and rides hard will tell you 7lbs is about max before issues start happening.
To figure out the octane you need
1. Compression ratio
2. Altitude
3. Boost
4. Internet
5. Ability to do a google search on compression ratio/boost psi.
Now, that being said, you will need to do at least 50% more maintenance/repair than a stock sled. You can do it yourself with a little research.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
There are numerous factors that affect the maximum allowable compression ratio. There is no single correct answer for every application.
Engine calibration of fuel and spark plays an enormous role in dictating knock behavior of an engine.

Compression%20Ratio.jpg

Design features such as combustion chamber geometry, spark plug location, bore size and compression ratio all affect the knock characteristics of an engine. Generally speaking, the more boost run, the higher the octane requirement. :face-icon-small-dis

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Good thing it's summer. You can find out all you need to know by reading these forums. 12-14lbs is a fair amount of boost for someone new to a turbo sled. You can do whatever you want but logic would say to start a hair lower and add more boost as your comfort level rises. My 2 cents, whatever it's worth.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
There are so many factors its not funny Turbo size is another factor as well since you own a polaris What kanedog says may be true. all sleds are not created equal. i own a 800 cat and run 9/10 psi with 35% race with 91 stock head and also run 3 dagrees advance timing with a stock head. I also have a external wastegate which seems to make more power at lower boost than a similar sled with a internal gate. i also have no innercooler of any type and this thing ripps. i ride at 4500/6500. So you can see there are a huge amount of variables from one setup to another. research is your friend theres lots of info out there you just have to weed through it to get to the facts. If you need help on here you need to know every thing about your set up or you;ll be heading the wrong direction.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
At 12 + lbs yes you will need to run race gas without a doubt

When you do not all fuel is created equal either VP 110 is worth the price IMO

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What was said above...and you also need to understand your squish band.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
You can run any octane you want but the motor might not live very long. 14 lbs is a lot of boost especially if you have little experience. I'd start with less than 10lbs and work your way up. My guess is that you will be happy at a lower bost level. I'd run straight 110 at 12+lbs and 50/50 110/92 at 10 lbs or less. Good gas is a cheap insurance policy.

G

gsxr1k2

Banned
Oct 21, 2010
Wyoming
Out of the 6 sleds ( one vohk air to water, two non-intercooler BD's, One BD Air to Air inter-cooled, One Aerocharged Air to air and one aerocharged air to water) in our group that ride around 10,000 ft. we all run 100LL and around 10-12 psi with zero issue.

The major reason for failure with a turbo two stroke is poor tune and lack of maintenance.

That being said, the lower you elevation the more octane you will need. Plus a lot of the race gas has detonation resistant properties and burn cooler for better cylinder temps.

By the way I don't believe most people can hang onto a 12 lbs+ sled for very long. I know I would feel like stretch arm strong!!

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Irrespective of all the other parameters you have to consider, one thing is certain: at 14 PSIG your reeds will HATE you.

Premium Features