• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 m8 clutch problems

P
Dec 13, 2015
MT
I have a 09 m8 and the secondary clutch bolt comes lose and then the belt is lose and not running properly. It happens when you put it in reverse. I have even put alot of locktight but still doesnt help. If i could get some help that would be nice, especially before the snow comes. From i can tell the clutch looks fine.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Is everything stock on the clutch? Stock belt adjuster? How much does the clutch rotate on the shaft when not tight? What are you torqueing the bolt too?

I have a 09 m8 and the secondary clutch bolt comes lose and then the belt is lose and not running properly. It happens when you put it in reverse. I have even put alot of locktight but still doesnt help. If i could get some help that would be nice, especially before the snow comes. From i can tell the clutch looks fine.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
When the bolt comes loose, the belt will become tighter not looser.
One reason for the bolt to come loose is the helix bolts loose or broken causing a vibration.

GS6

P
Dec 13, 2015
MT
Its got a steeper helix and different spring for the turbo. It harldy moves when the bolt is out and im not sure what i was torqueing it down to.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Post a picture of the helix if you can. Particularly the pocket where the rollers go up and down.

C
Jan 14, 2012
Do you tighten the bolt with the belt on or off?

If the belt is on, when you tighten the secondary bolt is the belt at the top of the secondary?

If the belt is not at the top of the secondary the sheeves are spread and the bolt isnt all the way in the shaft. WHen the secondary sheeves open and close while riding the belt goes higher in the secondary and the bolt will be loose.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've seen a helix break on one side and start doing goofy things. If your rollers aren't sitting square in there I'd say it's helix/helix bolt related.

Premium Features