• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Motor Issue Need Help

F
Aug 17, 2009
Trying to help a friend figure out his motor issue. At wide open throttle it cuts in and out (seems like detonation) it will only rev to 6800 rpm. The sled runs fine other than wot, any suggestions would be appreciated. The local dealer who he bought it from said they can't find anything wrong.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
6800 is when the power valve cables open.
check the cables for free pull and the servo for operation. also the throttle safety switch located behind the pin the flipper pivots on are known to be a POS. you can check it with a multi meter in the ohms setting.
also check the spark plug wires where they cross each other as they like to rub and wear on each other.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
i agree powervalve cable seized in the housing or right where it wraps on the servo the cable will bunch up. lift it up and make sure your servo is still working. If it's not i have one but i bet it's just a cable easy fix.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
^^^ Normally I would agree with them but what I found on a similar issue was cracked reeds. I would assume the dealer would have checked the power valves. I bet they didn't check the reeds. Goodluck

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
most of the time if the reeds a bad it run like $hit on the low end too, but have seen the reeds act just like a bad PV cable also.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Mine did the exact same thing. 6800 seemed to be the magic number. Turned out to be fuel pump/pickups...replaced both and problem was immediately solved. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and go ride. You'll see the pressure drop . Good luck.

Premium Features