• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Comparison: Ski-Doo 174 – Axys 155 – Pro 155

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Sled Comparison: Ski-Doo 174 – Axys 155 – Pro 155

Last Saturday, I had the chance to compare three different sleds. Here are the three sleds and my feedback on them, FWIW.

- 2016 Ski-Doo Summit 174 – 3” lugs
- 2016 Polaris Pro RMK Axys 155 – 2.6” lugs
- 2012 Polaris RMK Assault 155 – Zbroz 36” A-arms, Burandt boards – 2.4” lugs

Summit – The 174” track will take you anywhere, without effort, as long as it’s in a straight line. The rider forward design, which puts the secondary clutch high in the chassis, makes it incredibly difficult to carve. I had issues with overcoming the gyro effect. It always wanted to stay in the direction it was set at. When muscled into a lean, it wanted to stay in that position until I muscled it back. Very weird feeling. In case you’re wondering, yes, you can get a 174 stuck…

Axys – That new 2.6” track is, holy crap, awesome! It hooks up way better than the older 2.4”. Other than that, it really didn’t feel much different than the 2012. It was more difficult to carve than the 2012.

Assault – The Axys could climb a bit higher with the better track, but the Assault could carve circles around the Axys. IMO, there’s no better upgrade you can do to a PRO than to put 36” a-arms on it. My buddy, that rode the Axys all week, took a spin on my Assault and said, “Wow, that’s the way a sled should handle!” I also didn’t notice much difference in engine performance between sleds. The Assault does have Wiseco forged pistons, which took away the vibration and made it much more responsive. So, I figured that’s why I didn’t notice an engine performance difference.

Conclusion: The Doo loyalists don’t know what they’re missing, the new Poo 2.6” track is awesome, and 36” a-arms are the bomb. If money were no object, I’d get the Axys with 36” a-arms. But since it is, I’ll stick with my Assault for another year or two. There’s just not enough of a difference to justify forking out more cash for a newer sled.

doo.jpg axys.jpg assault.jpg

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Summit takes a while to get used to. It's a different animal than the others. Once you get used to it I think carves quite nicely. Pro always carved like an electric knife on Thanksgiving at a homeless shelter :) Can't speak for an Axys.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
A lot of your complaints with the skidoo also has to do with that long track. It just wants to set in a straight line and not turn. The 154 is so much more maneuverable.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
My Thoughts....

I spent 3 days riding in Revvy on a 2016 Summit T3 174 and a 2016 Axys 163 -3".

Here are my unbiased thoughts on these two beasts...(I did some suspension and clutch tweaks to both sleds as necessary)

Note...I have a 2015 800RMK LE, and love my sled, got lucky with a really strong 800 in this one!!

Summit:
Good: I cant lie. After some set up, and an hour or so of seat time I really liked. It was smooth, and could climb, carve, and hold side hill lines well in the open. It was very easy on my body. It seemed I did not have to work very hard to get it to do what I wanted. Bars and height felt good, and it was comfortable.

Ok: I found the engine was good, however was not crazy about the mid range surge of power. It seemed to be lacking a bit in the bottom end and I prefer the linear power of my Polaris 800 motor. I found it was not as predictable, and I bobbled quite a bit trying to maneuver thru trees as compared to the Axys.

Bad: Weight was noticeable when stuck, not so much when riding tho. Also the sled did feel a bit wide, in the seat and running boards.

Axys:
Good: Motor, what a nice motor! Freaking thing is smooth, crisp, and rips. Also, this thing could climb, just as good or better than the 174. It was razor sharp as expected side hilling and carving, and was alot less likely to get stuck. I thought I was stuck (I would have been on my sled) and I gave it a wiggle and shot ...and it popped up on the snow. It felt light and nimble in the trees, but I didn't feel much difference as compared to my sled there.

Ok: I found it was more difficult to maneuver on open slopes than the 174, and I did notice It sucked more energy in those situations.

Bad: Meh, storage maybe the only gripe on that sled....

Conclusion:
Both awesome sleds, with each having its advantages. Wish I had an opportunity to try the 2.6 track, and the 163 Summit.
Also, I'm glad I didn't jump on the Axys bandwagon as it is not that much better than my sled...IMHO

Cheers!

Last edited:

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Is this the thread where you pro-ride guys try to convince yourself you don't need to spend money on an Axys, but in reality you really do? :) Out of the box, the first 300 miles I hated my Axys and I wanted my pro back. I felt like it was a trenching monster that when trying to sidehill it just wanted to shoot uphill. I loved the power right off the bat though. After 300ish miles, I was in love, and you couldn't pay me to ride a pro-ride any longer. The RTS spring comes 10.5" installed suspended in the air. They recommend running it at 10.125" I believe in the manual for a guy 220-280 lbs. I weigh 155 lbs and had to crank mine all the way to 9.5" to reduce trenching and wheelies. Once I got the shocks dialed in this thing is a monster in the trees. You have to ride it completely different from the pro, I find myself standing at a minimum 12" if not 16" farther back on the board then where I rode my pro when sidehilling. The pro laid as flat as a board when sidehilling, if you want to sidehill an axys, you have to get the front end up out of the snow and let it party.

Premium Features