• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to buy TPS tester?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Looking to buy the polaris TPS tester...

Sounds like its hard to find??? Can build one, but would just rather buy a good one to have around

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
CFI. and if the that one is $145, I will be making my own!

They're supposed to be around $50, just can't find one.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I would like to know the difference as well. I have a homemade tester and have used it for both carb and cfi sleds. I was under the assumption there were just different specs and procedures. The TPS plugs are identical.

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Kinda what i thought... Just different values, and position to set those values...???

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Reading thru the twenty or so threads on the subject, since the rack style carbs came out on the EDGE's with them. The box to feed the exactly 5.00 Volts DC is the same, the connector is the same, the only difference is the setting procedure and the values that are expected from the TPS.

X
Dec 10, 2009
Check on Ebay, I think there are some for less than $50. I built my own but am still considering buying the one on eBay just for the connector. It is a huge pain dealing with the alligator clips on the one I built.

U
Nov 29, 2007
TPS tool

Check on Ebay, I think there are some for less than $50. I built my own but am still considering buying the one on eBay just for the connector. It is a huge pain dealing with the alligator clips on the one I built.

I have 2 old cell phone chargers here that say they put out 5 vdc i am going to try and use these as the supply. Does any one see a reason why this won't work?

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho

I just cut the TPS plug off of an old Edge wiring harness I had laying around and used it instead of the clips.. Old wiring harnesses that have the TPS plug are plentiful and cheap if you dont already have one laying around..

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I have 2 old cell phone chargers here that say they put out 5 vdc i am going to try and use these as the supply. Does any one see a reason why this won't work?

I actually wondered about this also.. I have tons of chargers that put out 5 vdc.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I actually wondered about this also.. I have tons of chargers that put out 5 vdc.

While advertised as 5 VDC chargers, most are not consistent enough for setting the TPS. According to what I read in all the other threads, some are smart chargers and vary the voltage and rate which makes them useless for this. Others show 5 VDC at no load but when a load is applied go under voltage again making them useless for this. All I can say is try them but be warned you may have to repeat the process.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
While advertised as 5 VDC chargers, most are not consistent enough for setting the TPS. According to what I read in all the other threads, some are smart chargers and vary the voltage and rate which makes them useless for this. Others show 5 VDC at no load but when a load is applied go under voltage again making them useless for this. All I can say is try them but be warned you may have to repeat the process.

Good advise.. I guess I could try it and worse case, I could just use the tool I know I have that works to set it again if the first attempt with the power supply failed.. I am going to use my PCV to set the TPS on the sled I am building when the time comes anyway. Not sure it will be any faster then the tool though. Just something new I havent done before so figured would give it a try.. :face-icon-small-hap

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I have read through several of these TPS threads but don't believe I have seen why you cant just start the sled up and let the PCM send its 5V signal to the TPS? Cant you just back probe the TPS connector while its running and adjust? Eric

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Tonka1020's Ebay link for TPS testor

Here is an Ebay link I just came across. I now have knowledge of the quality of the part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281078141540

I have now received mine and the quality is good. Turns out he is a forum member as well, Known as "Tonka1020" on SW. Good guy to deal with and produces a quality part for the $. I have no reservations recommending this link.

Just be certain you follow the procedure for your particular engine and use a quality meter (the sub-$100 meters give you questionable settings and lead to questionable performance).

Last edited:
Premium Features