• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VES Gold V/S AMSOIL

I
Jan 12, 2009
Thinking about switching to amsoil @ $7 a Qt compared to $12 for ves gold, i am the 2nd owner of a 2012 pro rmk 800 155 and as far as i know it has always had the ves gold in it, anyone done this or see any problems switching oils, sled has around 1500mi with oil pump turned up 2 turns, Thanks for any input.

diggity

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2010
Check with Indy Specialties on this one. He's a straight shooter and knows what these motors need.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
VES = Very Expensive Stuff

Yes, go ahead and switch. As long as you stick with a quality synthetic, you can even mix and match. It doesn't really matter, regardless of what the internet says. There's also Klotz TC-W3 (It's what I use. The smell of Amsoil makes me gag) or Lucas Full Synthetic for much less expensive options.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Oil is like religion. They all do the same thing, but manufacturers and followers will fight to the death to try to prove that theirs is the one true lube and if you use any other brand, your engine will immediately melt down from the fires of damnation.

Just run whatever reputable full-syn oil you want. Amsoil Interceptor works just fine.

At least sleds inject the stuff. Dirtbike forums all have the other argument in addition to brand: mix ratio.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Check with Indy Specialties on this one. He's a straight shooter and knows what these motors need.

Pretty sure he's changed his tune what he deams "acceptable" oil.

I've run them all from Legend to Klotz and now usually just run Mystik JT-4. IMO all the Amsoil products caused very dirty powervalves and other parts. Again Mystik JT-4 or Como Oil (rumored who makes Polaris VES), cheaper than most oils and have all the same certs.

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
Pretty sure he's changed his tune what he deams "acceptable" oil.

I've run them all from Legend to Klotz and now usually just run Mystik JT-4. IMO all the Amsoil products caused very dirty powervalves and other parts. Again Mystik JT-4 or Como Oil (rumored who makes Polaris VES), cheaper than most oils and have all the same certs.

Lubrication Technologies make Polaris oils.
Como Oil makes Arctic Blue.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Use the Polaris oil and when your motor fails you have zero guilt and the dealer can't insinuate that the oil caused the problem. It does not matter if the aftermarket oil is better or cheaper. When they open the motor and the crank end of the rod bearings are blue, they will blame the oil or Polaris and not you.

Which end of that argument do you want to be on?

These failures happened to me and a buddy within 10 days on our 14 Pro's. My oiler was even turned up 2 turns.

Buy Polaris oil in bulk. if your dealer doesn't offer that, find friends and bring in a drum. Sell it if you want.

Last edited:

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Use the Polaris oil and when your motor fails you have zero guilt and the dealer can't insinuate that the oil caused the problem. It does not matter if the aftermarket oil is better or cheaper. When they open the motor and the crank end of the rod bearings are blue, they will blame the oil or Polaris and not you.

These failures happened to me and a buddy within 10 days on our 14 Pro's. My oiler was even turned up 2 turns.

Buy Polaris oil in bulk. if your dealer doesn't offer that, find friends and bring in a drum. Sell it if you want.

If you don't have warranty there is no argument or shouldn't be anyway. I have be using mystik jt 4 for last 5 seasons. 17.99 gal no problems. Like others said vent your tank. I put a doo cap on and checked ratio last time oit. 28:1 . little rich. Wasn't using near that before. It's a 2011 and oiler turned up after 1st trip. Was about 70:1 from factory.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA

What you describe is illegal in the US. They can only specify an oil based on industry standards and not based on manufacturer. Therefore, can only deny a warranty claim based on whether you used an oil that met the industry standard or not.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
What you describe is illegal in the US. They can only specify an oil based on industry standards and not based on manufacturer. Therefore, can only deny a warranty claim based on whether you used an oil that met the industry standard or not.

Illegal or not, you are cast in a positive light or a negative light. Your dealer can go to bat for you if you have been buying oil from him. If you buy it form someone else and he believes the oil is the problem, how much much will he fight for you?

It might be simply getting your motor fixed in 1 week rather than 4 weeks. How do you want to be treated?

Been there done that. I was talking like you before it happened to me.

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Ive run ves gold in my dragon since the day I bought it, & I've never had the oiler turned up, stock setting from the dealer. I had my sled at the dealer a few years ago to change out reeds, they said the cylinder , pistons, & rings looked perfect, no abnormal wear at all.
BTW, the reeds that were taken out looked perfect as well, only one reed petal had a super tiny chip right on the corner.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Illegal or not, you are cast in a positive light or a negative light. Your dealer can go to bat for you if you have been buying oil from him. If you buy it form someone else and he believes the oil is the problem, how much much will he fight for you?

It might be simply getting your motor fixed in 1 week rather than 4 weeks. How do you want to be treated?

Been there done that. I was talking like you before it happened to me.

Right or not, I don't care. But I have never heard of anyone get their engine's done by a dealer in 1 week. Most commenly you will be waiting 1 month. Gold oil or not.

I
Jan 12, 2009
I bought the sled with 1200 mi and from reading ppposts i turned up the oiler 2 turns, still doesnt seem like its using much oil, how are you venting the tank besides a doo cap and how did you check the ratio? Thanks Kevin.

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I bought the sled with 1200 mi and from reading ppposts i turned up the oiler 2 turns, still doesnt seem like its using much oil, how are you venting the tank besides a doo cap and how did you check the ratio? Thanks Kevin.

To check ratio fill fuel tank up. With sled level put a mark on oil level. When its time for more gas keep track how much you put in and how many oz oil it takes to get back up to mark. Divide oz of oil into oz of gas you put in. That's your ratio. 128 oz in a gal. Hope this helps.

Dec 14, 2007
I have rum amsoil for years with great results never have had a oil related issue. Had 7500 miles on a 94 xlt and 6500 miles on a 02 rmk before rebuilds, and 3000 on a 900 rmk 2500 on the motor since all the updates. I'm a amsoil dealer so i'm a little bias. I know that amsoil still pours easy when its been in the truck when its -10, The main thing is run a quality full synthetic.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Lubrication Technologies make Polaris oils.
Como Oil makes Arctic Blue.

Yeah I heard that also, but also know that Polaris doesn't play well with companies that make competitors products and Lube Tech makes Arctic Cat and I believe BRP oil. Heard from numerous sources Polaris uses Como, heard from 1, now 2, they use Lube Tech to produce their oil. If you look and smell Arctic Blue Synthetic (its not blue) its has similar appearances (just that, appearance, I didn't test it).

Last edited:
Premium Features