• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Forget the words pump gas it's one variable you can control. Low octane can make your headache.

Last edited:

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Man could not have asked for a better thread as I am in in the same boat right now, of turbo or not to turbo.
What is the biggest part of p/m on a turbo, pump or race gas setup if that makes a large difference

Pump or race gas depends on elevation and boost. I always run a little av in mine to be safe. Others don't. Maintenance is maintenance on a turbo sled. Exhaust donuts Reeds fuel filter clutch Springs clutches belts, etc... Not everything needs to be replaced annually, my opinion, but needs to be at least looked at. It's not hard just need to be aware of it.

Once you get that taste of boost, a stocker just won't do.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I really don't understand guys that are willing to fork out $4000+ to turbo their sled, but then don't want to run good fuel. Mix some race gas in, or run straight race or AV fuel. No way I would do a straight pump gas turbo, pump fuel is just too unreliable.

T
Thanks everyone for all the dialog on this topic. It looks like I'm going with a pre-boosted '13 with the Silber kit.

We do a pretty wide variety of riding, which I guess is a pretty critical part of this question eh? But mostly technical stuff, not major hill-climers. So I'm hoping the turbo will be snappy enough for on-the-gas, off-the-gas sorts of riding.

I was temped to see what's next from Polaris beyond the AXYS chassis as it seems they're ripe for a new model. But I really need a new sled and I'm pretty sure this one will keep me happy for a few years!

M

Muldonc

Dec 2, 2011
BC
Do any of ur friends ride turbo? If they dont, you wont really have any friendly competition?!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

lol, if you and your friends are competitive riders they will quit calling. Nobody likes getting their butts kicked all over the mountain. I am not a great rider and having the power saves me a few stucks. On the other hand that power may get you stuck in places where no one can help, I try to avoid these situations but still find myself pointed up some stupid hill every now and again just because some one else almost made it.:face-icon-small-dis

H

hankohlson

Dec 2, 2007
HOOD RIVER OR
You will love it. The boost is just as great in the tight trees and technical riding as is in the wide open areas. You will be able to do things you thought were impossible before on a stocker.

R
Jan 9, 2011
The LOOPS
I did the big bore first it was fun....., then I put the stock top end on and did a bd turbo. Amazing. I only have 250 miles on the setup haven't touched the box yet, had a cpl buddies ride it and all say wow. We ride tight trees and it's a handful at 8 psi, I think u can score a better deal with turbo kit already on the sled, find a lower miler and spend a little time checking it over. jump on the wagon zero regrets and you will wonder why you waited.

Premium Features