• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to adjust oil pump?

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
Is there any special tool required to adjust the oil pump and how do you adjust it. the sled needs more oil.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
oil pump

I have a 08 not sure but would assume the same on the rest. You take the black guard off on the pipe side. Directly behind that there is some black wire wrap looking stuff tied to the engine with sip ties. Cut the ties and peel back the stuff( sorry spacing the name) and adjust the nut in there, You want to make it longer. I know this was a bad discription but I hope it helps.
Ed

T

tpollon2

Dec 2, 2007
Calgary
Fill gas tank to the top, burp it and top it off. Mark your oil level before you ride. After ride measure how much oil you use to fill it back up to that mark. Fill your sled up with gas back to full, burp it and fill it some more to top it off at the gas staion. You will now have your fuel to oil ratio. It should be somewhere around 35 to 1 to be safe. Some guys lean it out to 40 to 1.

8alltheway

Dec 5, 2007
Eastern SD
any idea what they're set at from the dealer? My 09 seems to drink a hell of alot of oil. I was gonna lean it out to save a few bucks on oil but since my motor warranty expired I mite think better of that idea and just leave it

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
16.5 mm is the measurment you want. That is ski doo spec.

S

snopro59

Nov 26, 2007
Yorkton, SK
16.5 mm is the measurment you want. That is ski doo spec.

I have the manual and have mine set at 16.5 mm. It still is rich on oil and I would like to turn it down slightly.

Would I make it 17 mm or 16mm to lean the oil mixture?. The book doesn't talk about how lengthening or shortening effects the mixture. I don't want to go the wrong way.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
the longer the measurement the less oil. The 600 sdi were set at 20 mm.

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Fill gas tank to the top, burp it and top it off. Mark your oil level before you ride. After ride measure how much oil you use to fill it back up to that mark. Fill your sled up with gas back to full, burp it and fill it some more to top it off at the gas staion. You will now have your fuel to oil ratio. It should be somewhere around 35 to 1 to be safe. Some guys lean it out to 40 to 1.

are the gains that you "may" get with the 40 to 1 vs. the 35 to 1 mix that great? Other than not having to go buy oil every ride what is the main benifit to running a little leaner mix? and does having a richer mix, (meaning I've never touched the oil pump ;), so I'm assuming I'm rich) hurt you on the potential performance of your sled?

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
16.5 mm is the mineral oil setting, if your running a blend or full synthetic oil you can go 18.5 mm. I have set many 800r engine's at 18.5 and not had any issues.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Worland, WY
I need to adjust mine! My sled keeps fouling plugs and running real boggy! It runs good at wide open, but if I put around it gets loaded up and have to run it wide open for a while till it cleans itself out. I thought it was my dpm solenoid, but i'm almost running out of oil before i run out of gas!!!

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
oil

check your cable at the pump, many of them are fraying and will bind up holding the pump open. not easy to see but you can look with a light between the clutches and see the pump
good luck
giddyup

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
You may want to leave it where it is

I have had two 08's. Both gulp oil and my most current 08', oil res leaks at the cap. There was a thread on DT about this topic two years ago. A great number of members felt that the minimal amount of oil saved wasn't worth the risk of losing a crank/motor. The 08's crank/bearing tolerances are awful and was suggested that the extra oil was to attempt to avoid losing the crank prematurely.
IMO, check it, leave it rich rather than lean.

Does anyone have a picture or up on Fische to demo what needs to be adjusted/inspected?

Last edited:
P

pyxle

Jan 27, 2008
Maple Valley, WA
Oil pump adjustment

Here is an image I made a few years ago to help with the adjustment.
You need to wedge the throttle to take up any freeplay before measuring the oil pump cable gap.

Oilcableadjuster.jpg

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
why i brought this up is because i seen others running 14.5mm and no issues in years with the good oil, even others down a 12.5mm

in the past with the regular oil i would use 1/4 tank of oil to a full tank of fuel, so you would think with the better oil it could even be 1/3 better than that

E
Feb 21, 2009
So now I'm confused. I thought the more slack you have in your cable the lower the ratio or less oil consumed? I have an 08 and over the summer I installed a new cable and I am using a ton of oil per ride almost half tank and still have fuel. I am out of adjustment and I can barely get 16 or less of slack. I was thinking i got the wrong cable and need to install yet another one so I have adjustment. Or I could be totally off base and just need to take out the slack. Any thoughts?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
So now I'm confused. I thought the more slack you have in your cable the lower the ratio or less oil consumed? I have an 08 and over the summer I installed a new cable and I am using a ton of oil per ride almost half tank and still have fuel. I am out of adjustment and I can barely get 16 or less of slack. I was thinking i got the wrong cable and need to install yet another one so I have adjustment. Or I could be totally off base and just need to take out the slack. Any thoughts?

Correct - more slack = less oil. What part confused you? If you're referring to my post where I state "any more will foul plugs" I mean any more OIL, not cable free play. Noted in my post now.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Premium Features