• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK TEK Rev 1 drop in kit ethanol setting

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
A friend of mine just installed this kit with a 13.5:1 head clutched at 3-6k on his 2012 Pro 800, engine and exhaust are both stock. 200:1 mix in tank. When he first took it out if he gave it any hard throttle it would go into det. mode and have to shut it off and start back up. If he babied it seemed to do ok. He is running 92 octane ethanol fuel. Switched the plug to non ethanol and after a couple of miles no more det code and rode the rest of the day normally without anymore issues. Was wondering what guys that are running this kit are running for fuel and what setting you are running the ethanol plug in. Don't know why it would go into det. mode when in ethanol setting, always thought this was the richer of the 2, and not in non ethanol. Thought maybe it was just because the top end was new and extra tight for the first couple of miles.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
its going to need more fuel to stop the det, do you have a after market pipe on it? you could try 20% race gas and see if that gets you det under control

P

powderman800

Jan 28, 2008
Kennewick, WA
Gas Quality

First, check the connection on the knock sensor to rule it out. The engine was disassembled to install the kit so perhaps it is loose. If connection is good my bet is fuel quality. Some stations have a nasty habit of dispensing only 87 even though the pump may say 89 or 92. Also, it may just have water in the fuel. Try 91/92 from a high traffic gas station (next to the highway or Costco/Safeway/Fredmeyer). I'd buy some 100LL out at the airport or some 110 from your local VP/Sunoco dealer to get you through the current tank. After that I'd try different stations. If the issue persists I'd look at replacing the the knock sensor or injectors. Clogged injector can cause lean condition/detonation.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The det. was only a problem right at first, went away after he changed to the nonethanol setting and put a couple miles on it. That is why I was wondering what setting guys with this kit are running and if they are running straight 92 or having to mix some race gas with it. We are going back up tomorrow and are going to start it out in the ethanol setting and see if it was just coincidence that the det. went away after he changed to the nonethanol setting. Snow is still pretty minimal here so there is really no chance to get a good long pull on the motor.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Eth setting ADDS fuel, so yes its counterintuitive that det would go away by leaning it out.
First time out, slug of bad fuel? Idk if it didn't happen all day and all the electronics were working right, no codes, I'd go ride it again.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I run the non-ethanol setting on 91 octane... I had the same problems first when I installed my kit; it would go to DET on the trail rides in on a 13.1:1 head; I ride about 2000-6000'.... The problem ended up being it was clutched to light on the midrange... I got the team rooster weights that Kelsey recommends and I loaded them heavy in the heel and mid and have never had a problem since...... That was about 3 years ago....

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I run the non-ethanol setting on 91 octane... I had the same problems first when I installed my kit; it would go to DET on the trail rides in on a 13.1:1 head; I ride about 2000-6000'.... The problem ended up being it was clutched to light on the midrange... I got the team rooster weights that Kelsey recommends and I loaded them heavy in the heel and mid and have never had a problem since...... That was about 3 years ago....

Agree. I don't install RK products but every MTNTK Fix Kit (the original kit for the CFI) that I have installed have needed more weight thrown at the clutch. Always 2 grams.

An over rev condition (or RPM increasing too quickly) will throw the DET sign on the gauge. So sometimes it's hard to know if the engine is really detonating or if it's actually over revving (or increasing RPM too quickly.)

Premium Features