• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

opinions? light sled?

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
so was looking for some collective thought ... maybe with those that had the kid deal :) .....waited for my 2nd kid to c if she wanted to ride....she does and is 14 and light......I have an 800 so I'm good....it seems as though all the pros are so ...here it comes..."flickable".....that it seems difficult to find a "lighter" sled these days? I have a 163 and will be getting a 155 I know that....I have ridden many Polaris sleds and though they are different at the end of the day its still a pig with a buncha hp...... essentially do you all "really" think dropping to a 600 for her is even worth it? budget about 7000 or less.... I'm thinkin a 700 155 is really where ill settle...reliability! is key for me of course and so is a poo...thank you.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
700 was discontinued in the IQ chassis, unfortunately.

I have seen several 2012-2014 Pro 600/155's in your price range that I think would be a fantastic sled for her.

I have two daughters in the same boat.

A
ProRmk 600 155"
That's the perfect option.
With its power to weight ratio I think it will fair better any given day than the IQ RMK 700.
Great sled for the teenagers and actually fun for adults if lets just say your 800 went dawn and needed a loaner.
Hypothetical situation, of course.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Yep get a 600 pro rmk for her. You might look for a std model since it has the extra cooler and bogie wheels to keep I cool if you do a lot of trail riding.

My daughters 13 and I have her riding my 600 axys rmk and she's growing into it just fine.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
...yes it would be an older 700 iq...friend has a Iq 700 2010 ive ridden....pull and go ...little concerned to drop to a 600 cause of course! I'm gonna thash this thing from time to time myself.....but I betcha that 600 is pretty silky in the pro/axys model ...so good for her and a new way for me to play also :) when she doesn't go and its boys weekend......I like my 163 but honestly kinda miss that shorter track from sleds past! got her all geared up today and got a nice marlon sled deck! so just need another machine....thanks for the "dad" advice guys.....

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The 600 pro is far better than any iq chassis no matter what motor is in it.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
I'm kickin this back up to the top please for another opinion from you dads..... might just go out and buy one of these new 600 sleds that a dealer got "stuck with" from last year which puts me at about the price of a used 800... ive ridden quite a few sleds but not a (pro frame) new 600 ....last question....when ya start getting uber technical...spinning gyrating less hp filled clutches and etc..... does the 600 "feel" lighter to turn bars in snow and lean and etc if ya know a less physical person is riding it....bein same block and essentially the same tunnel?........I think it would be a kick to ride it when I bring a buddy and hes whining he got the little one.... I'm sure one of you has a 600 pro sittin next to an 800 pro....or id just buy an 800 and put a governor on it.....sorry I know its redundant but do they "feel" lighter to manage so a kid would fatigue less or mostly do they just have less hp. again thank you

P
Mar 23, 2013
Choiceland sask
The 600 for really no reason other than maybe revs a bit faster does feel lighter and easier to throw around. Im pretty sure im not the only guy that thinks this also. Started with a 600 and now riding an 800. Torque is really noticeable though. Side by side the 800 is just not working near as hard as the 600. But at 120ish hp 600 is still pretty potent

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
IMO it's one of the only "newer" sleds that feels more "kid" sized just for weight and bulk.
My boys 10 and 13 have some old iron but they love riding the M7 and Pro and neither have had trouble handling (trails) either sled for years. Younger one claims both are easier to turn and handle than his old S chassi Doo.
Both kids are light, but the almost 14 year old might be cracking 90lbs here soon. I'm bettin he will finally be able to hook a powder turn this year and hold a ski up and I'll put money the Pro is easier to lay over then the M or gen2 Polaris he rides.

600Pro would be the cats meow for a younger rider. Wish they made more of the Indy 550s or whatever they're called. Pro chassis, 550 fan with like a 136-144 track.
That's where it's at since none of the mfgs can seem to make a 3/4 size sled.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
well my kid is again the first objective here for fun and the whole reason for a sled in the first place but of course there are many! more eights out there and they are cheaper and the manufacturers have done such a good job makin all of em so light is why I'm killin a dead horse here in the first place by askin yall the same question again....ill probably just opt for the smaller engine so it is a little more sluggish and give her more reaction time to learn her mad skilz!!...then when shes schoolin her dad in a couple years we will bump her up if she likes and get into some back country.....heck I just wanna run some trails with her till she starts wantin some more.....I appreciate the experienced opinions guys thank you.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
at the end of the day were buyin a sled and we will have nothin but fun of course!...braap..that indy is a great suggestion also...(was "hopin" for a little more sluggish as I'm an overprotective dad and all but ya I'm sure that 600 rips too)..the main reason I like that 600 pro also is they run forever and ya can just leave er in the stable while I grenade or tree my main sled every few years lol...but forums like this are beyond cool of what ya can learn from the group to make yer money go further so I just take all that I can from yall and appreciate it.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
new sled to the family

Thanks guys ended up just buyin a new (dealer unsold holdover) 2014 600 rmk....extra cooler and bogies.....(yank that extra stuff in 2 years :) )......and I think that will be the sweet ride for her and yes I'm definitely going to ride it sometimes for a different feel!! Thanks for the advice I got just what we wanted!!

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
Also been looking for a sled for my kid (12yr old) and can't get past the fact that the 600 and 800 weigh the same, plus most used 800's are cheaper than the 600's (around here) and there's a lot more 800's available for sale. Considering detuning a 800 (lower compression head, which might allow him to start it), maybe a throttle stop, change mapping (less aggressive timing), then maybe he can grow into the 800 so we don't have to upgrade down the road? Still, a big advantage of the 600 is engine reliability so maybe it's worth the extra amount...

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
ya know....I ran about the exact program in my head.....but I figure ill keep this sled around as a kicker for at least 8000 easy maintenance miles I'm hopin as a share sled....later Ill pull the extra cooler and bogeys....I just like the idea of her havin more of a smooth throttle response ....than a screamin beast for a while ...maybe we turbo em later!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'd leave the front cooler in. They can get a little fickle in lower snow conditions and want to run on the hot side.

If you get bored with the 600 get Carl's to set you up with a 660. Puts a whole new grin factor in it. Except for the kid when you won't get off it.

Premium Features