• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Going to look at a 2012 Pro RMK - What to look for?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm going to check out a 2012 RMK tonight with 2k miles. It's apparently got a MTNTEK fix kit with less than 1000 miles and what looks to be Zbros A arms on it.

Are there any major problem areas on this sled? Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated. I'm looking to pick it up for my kids to use and a spare for my wife or I.

Thanks!

D
Sep 23, 2010
north of winnipeg
Every 2012 I see seems to be more prone to clutches breaking off and early crank failures. The 2013 and newer have better quality bearings on the crank and thicker cylinder skirts and reliability seemed much better than the 2011 and 2012 models. The fix kit tho should improve on the top end issues but won't help the clutch /bottom end problems. That sled your inquiring about does look nice tho. I have seen some 2013's not long ago for sale here and they were the same price or even a bit cheaper, I would go the route of 2013 or newer. BTW I love my 2013 rmk so mayb I'm a bit biased lol

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
- Bring a compression tester and both cylinders should be 120psi, +/- 5.

- Look for cracks on the running boards.

- Is the tunnel straight? A hard hit will buckle the tunnel by the footwells.

- Take the hood off and make certain the overstructure is solid.

- If there's a small amount oil in the belly pan, it's typically caused by a leaking check valve. It leaks out the Y-pipe to pipe interface. A little is common and not a big deal, especially when the sled has been stored a while. However, the seller doesn't need to know that...

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Every 2012 I see seems to be more prone to clutches breaking off and early crank failures. The 2013 and newer have better quality bearings on the crank and thicker cylinder skirts and reliability seemed much better than the 2011 and 2012 models. The fix kit tho should improve on the top end issues but won't help the clutch /bottom end problems. That sled your inquiring about does look nice tho. I have seen some 2013's not long ago for sale here and they were the same price or even a bit cheaper, I would go the route of 2013 or newer. BTW I love my 2013 rmk so mayb I'm a bit biased lol

Hey, thanks for the info! Another local guy! Let me know if you ever need someone to ride with out west. Most of my riding buddies are out of province. Not so good about the clutch issues though... if you see any 2013s for the same price range, send them my way.

The current owner did warn me that the tunnel has a couple non-factory bulges that have been reinforced after the fact by the 1st owner. It seems to be pretty common. Is this a deal breaker or something that can be left alone?

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The sled turned out to be a bust. It was jammed full of cat tails, cracked hood and the tunnel was buckled in 4 places, I decided to pass. It didn't look like it had any routine maintenance in its life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
The sled turned out to be a bust. It was jammed full of cat tails, cracked hood and the tunnel was buckled in 4 places, I decided to pass. It didn't look like it had any routine maintenance in its life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats your price range? Im headed to wpg in the next couple weeks as work allows. I have a 15 pro 800 with 560ish miles. Stock motor with cat 2.6" track and some clutching. Straight sled with only minor scratches from normal riding.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You'll want more for that sled than I'm looking to spend, but thanks for the post! Are you and Dave ever bringing the Camaro out again?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We had two 2011 Pro's. If it were me I would go 2013 on up. Much better running boards and it's a lighter sled with the belt drive, carbon fiber over structure and shorter seat. Along with the kill switch is movable and can be moved where it suits you. I have read here on SnoWest that the 2013 motor is much stronger than the 2011-2012, but there are other people here on SnoWest that are more qualified than me to comment on that. Can you buy in the states? I am guessing it would be cheaper.

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
You'll want more for that sled than I'm looking to spend, but thanks for the post! Are you and Dave ever bringing the Camaro out again?

I'd take $8g for it. Lol

The camaro was rolled into the trailer with a broken input shaft after the finals in vegas 2 years ago. With the low price of oil and a lack of ambition I'm not sure when it'll be out lol as you know, it's a **** tonne of time and money!

Premium Features