• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jumping ship.....maybe to the dark side???

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Hey guys want to start this off by stating that I have never been a brand loyal rider and I never will be....I am the type of person that is going to ride what works. With that I have been on 3 Ski Doo's since 2009 but I am thinking about jumping ship if there is not some serious changes made to Ski Doo's mountain lineup for 2017.

I feel that they need to focus more on dropping a few L B's, narrowing up the front end (a lot) and adding more power than focusing on the color spectrum. They really haven't done much since 2013 besides the T3 174 and neon colors.

My plan is to ride my 14 XM this year and make my decision at the end of the season if Ski Doo doesn't come through for us. I am strongly thinking about an AXYS After visiting the local Polaris dealer. Looking at that sled and what they have done just makes sense. I like the fact that you can remove the stock can and replace if with an aftermarket and be less than 400 lbs. My only concerns are the engine and the bonded parts holding together. So I hoping if there is any issues this season that they get them ironed out before the 17's come out.

I am sure some of you will bastardized me for the above but I want to be "WOWED" and Ski Doo just isn't doing it for me right now. Does anyone else have the same feeling as I do or am just expecting too much?

Thanks

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
Sometimes you just need something different. I think by the end of a season you will know if you made the right choice. I have never been brand loyal either, if it checks all the right boxes in my mind I'll try it.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Don't get me wrong, understand what you are saying here. but there comes a point of demolishing returns. take drag racing for instance. they get 1000 hp out of one piston but it only lasts for 1,320 ft and sometimes not even that before its junk.

What cost are you willing to pay to loose those few extra pounds and gain those few extra horsepower that you are asking for??. lets be honest here, there is not much room left in lighten up one these modern sleds anymore without jeopardizing durability and longevity. That goes with HP as well. We ask for lighter and lighter sleds with more horsepower and then complain about the motor not lasting, things bending, breaking and falling off. Then we want everything covered under a "fix it for free" warranty

If all of us were willing to spend +20 grand on a sled every single year i am sure the manufactures could provide us with lighter more powerful sleds.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I agree, if Doo doesn't make some progress by next year I won't be checking another three Doos. However, they have made progress that isn't really advertised. Ride a 2015 Doo next to a 2013, same models. The 2015 rigs RIP compared to the 2013s. Small improvements.
But you are right, and I have been telling folks the same thing, this is my last year dropping $40K on sleds with Doo unless they up the game. There is a lot of room for improvement. I think we will see it for 2017.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Im happy with etec power,but also ride at sea level, for me id like to see the body narrowed up and a better intake instead of the location now,not branch friendly. doo knows if something "new" is not on the table for 17 that they will lose riders

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Brand Loyal

Hey right on it is all about what works for all of us individually and who cares about brand loyalty with the inflated price of all of these new sleds besides that they all offer something different. I think everyone has strong opinions about our choices to justify how we spend our hard earned money.

Truly and honestly it is all about our own personal preference of how these new sleds rides besides how they look but it is different strokes for different folks and every one of us has jumped ship at one time or another. I have seen major engine, chassis, and week tunnel concerns so it comes back to what we all value most?

The tough side of the coin is making the choice to jump ship when your uncertain to only have something go wrong and then you discover that some manufacturers have been using us as the research and development department to find and identify the week spots or defects that they missed.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Add me too the list of "Anxious, yet cautious!"

I LOVE the reliability of my Ski doo...the engine runs like a swiss clock, and I don't mind the extra weight, as I like to bash through the trees, and I know that a lil extra weight makes for a beefier sled.

IF the new Axys Engine proves to be as reliable as the ETEC, and the chassis doesn't implode, then I will be looking that Direction when it comes time!

Ace

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Go try a poo for a few seasons. Everyone will be on snowbikes in a few years anyways so you might as well say you tried everything.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Was not very impressed by the new Pro in the Axys chassis when I rode it.

But hey that's me..... Felt just like 2012 pro, just able to get on edge a bit easier. Nothing real earth shattering.

I will have to say Polaris is really good at hyping things up though with catch phrases like"flickable" or "instantaneous lift". By the time you get a 3" version, with painted tunnel, rails, spindles, and chain case you are not at the 407 pounds.

How ever I would like to see some more new stuff from doo as well.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
One good winter with deep snow and the snowbike fad will be over.
I have talked to guys that rode the Axys, not just a quick demo but all day rides without someone babysitting so they could really ride it.
More bottom end than a Pro, but lost in trackspin on drags. Dead even drags on the trail. Rolling 40mph drags, same.
Durability is already showing issues.
I will take a heavy Doo that I know will get me home every ride over a Supersled unreliable Pro any day, but Doo needs to close the gap or I will be looking at other options. It is past time.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I spent the better part of a day on the "new"Pro...., and was able to ride it with out being "babysat"

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Ok.

Just saying that it (they) were ridden like someone would ride them, and there were issues.

That I won't deny, we had to wire up the clutch guard as it fell off and was rubbing the clutch and would not stay hooked on the plastic. The antifreeze bottle fell off and was starting to melt on the exhaust. Low on rpm by 1000 rpm. Best guess it will need 60 gram weights to pull proper rpm at 10,000 ft. Which by the way is what the current Pro uses. A little disappointing considering that Polaris had at least 2 seasons if not several of testing one of which was full production.

Fancy GPS gauge combo was very very slow hard to read in day light, and KEEPS TRACK OF EVERYWHERE YOU GO, even if not set to track....

Motor was certainly snappy off the line, felt more torquey the in the past. Only had 700-800 miles also.

Premium Features