• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help deciding on sled for my wife

W
Dec 11, 2011
Having rode the 600 Pro and the 600 Doo, the Doo has tons more power. When I bought the 600 Pro for wifey, I thought it would perform like the 600 Doo's that I've ridden (for the challenge, sometimes the 8's are just too easy to ride, so we hop on the wifeys' 600's just to see who can outclimb who). Point I'm making is that if your used to riding Doo, be prepared for an underpowered 600 Pro if that's the route your taking.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
im thinking 600 because of the 800s reputation. i am not able to purchase a brand new sled due to price. price is also the reason i am even looking at polaris. a new xm chassis skidoo 600/800 is out of my price range. i am looking for something with under 2000 miles, all stock, something that nobody has molested. there are 800s that fit this category, but im not about to take the known risk of a polaris 800 with over 1000 miles on it. nor am i about to rebuild a snowmobile engine with 1000 miles on it just to peace of mind.

my wife doesnt "ride with the big boys", but she will follow me wherever i go when she is along. so i have to use my head as to where to go when she is along. i would like to her to get better and come ripping in the tight trees, but she does not express any want to do that haha. i will stick to what she likes, and a 600 will do all of that. if she did well on an 06 M7, she will do even better on a 600 rmk proride chassis

You can get some good deals on older M8's, my wife loves hers!

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
You can get some good deals on older M8's, my wife loves hers!

i just want to get her onto something with the new rider forward chassis. im excited to try something other than doo, just because i have always wondered what they are like. i would have rather bought a new pro climb chassis 600 cat.......but good luck finding one of those.

-all the horror stories of the 12-13 cats scared me. the new 14-15's are out of my price range, and good luck finding a 600
-the wonderfully engineered polaris 800 engine i never even considered
-the xm chassis doo in 600 or 800 is out of my price range.

we went to dealers and sat on all of them, lean off the side,....do as much as we could without actually riding it. she liked doo and polaris the best.

i will be picking up a 2012 600 pro rmk 155 for her next week. 700 miles on it. very good shape. didnt get a smokin deal on it, but it is a fair deal. its only 70 miles from me, so that was an incentive to pay a little more for it. hopefully she likes it. she doesnt even know shes getting it yet :)

Last edited:
D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
For all who think the 800 Pro is too much engine for their wives, just leave the stock 62 gram weights on it. When she gets better drop down to 58 grams and then she can take advantage of the 800's power in the mountains.

I couldn't afford a 800 Pro for my wife so I ended up getting her a lightly used IQ 700 RMK. She loves it but I something think only because it has a loud can.

Last edited:
O
Oct 11, 2012
Boston
There's 6 couples in our group. We all bought 2014 Pro RMK 600's for our wives last year. They LOVE em! They can easily pull start the 600's. The 800 is difficult especially in the morning.

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
1. I learnt a long time ago If she doesn't ride as often as you, buy a sled you would both want to ride
2. buy one with a front cooler
3. don't listen to all the negative internet hype about the 800
4. resale on 800 will offset initial price
5. with all the rmk le spring checked this year with free e start you should get a deal on a take off

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
hopefully she likes it. she doesnt even know shes getting it yet :)

Sweet! Surprises are the best part! I got my wifey with hers over her college graduation this last May. I had to do a 1000 miles round trip. Thankfully she is a blonde, cause I had a creative excuse why I couldn't be in town the weekend before her graduation. It was really hard for me to think of a reason with me working out of town and only seeing her on weekends.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
why start your wife off with a sled that is less powerful than the one you ride? it is hard enough to try and ride with someone when you are struggling with a lower power sled, besides that the pro 800 and 600 both weigh exactly the same. id go with the new 14 over the used 13 for the same price. seems like a no brainer to me. good luck :face-icon-small-hap

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
hmm

My sled,, 800 Pro 163
Her sled,, 800 Pro 163, e-start

Put her on something YOU would ride, u can thank me later...

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
My sled,, 800 Pro 163

Her sled,, 800 Pro 163, e-start

Put her on something YOU would ride, u can thank me later...

^^^^^ same exact setup my wife and I have. Remember sometimes the "wife's" sled becomes your back up sled. Just saying. In the past when my wife's sled was less then mine in track and cc's she'd always ask to switch with me anytime we came up to anything more challenging. Didn't take me long to figure out that we might has well have the same exact sleds. That meant 2 sleds that I'd be happy with. Anyway just my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features