• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stock or CE 2.5

C

catlsled

Jan 2, 2013
Snoqualmie, WA
Have looked through all kinds of threads and still not clear on answer so simple question if anyone has input. I have 13 Pro 155 that has couple torn lugs and thought I would either try to find take-off track or spend more and get CE 2.5 for this season - prefer straight swap (no drivers/clutching changes) as only plan on riding this sled one more season - my question is whether the CE 2.5 is a significant performance upgrade over the stock track for the additional couple hundred bucks as don't appear that different in specs? Ride mainly WA and BC. Appreciate any thoughts.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
I have been researching this same question for the same sled. Seems clear the preference for any kind of heavy snow is the CE over stock. I ride the Utah powder at 8500 feet and up and I think stock is ok, but talked to several guys here that really like the CE last year. FWIW I am going to give the CE a shot this year and see how I like it.

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
I have the exact sled and put that track on mine. 200% more grip in and set up and hard packed snow. Had to get used to the sled all over again,gotta hold on tight when you pin it so hands wouldnt slip off lol.

I put it on in march but by then it was all wet sticky spring snow but it works so much better in this snow,stock track would just spin on any kind of hard snow. Wont really get to try it in dry powder until this winter but love the track so far,its supposed to be close to the stock track in powder performance

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's a great track but has it's down falls as well. It's a heavier track so there is more rotating mass. The track has a tendency to trench more easier and requires some rear skid/shock setup to help that. But the CE will hook up so much better than the 5.1. It will also brake coming down hills and coming hard into corners. The 5.1 will excel in super light powder but even here in Colorado we don't have that but maybe 20% of the year. The CE is a great track that was a huge upgrade for the IQ sleds, I'm just not sure it's as big of an upgrade for the Pro.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Since your in Washington I would go with the camo extreme it works better in the cascade concrete:face-icon-small-ton

T
Oct 14, 2014
It's a great track but has it's down falls as well. It's a heavier track so there is more rotating mass. The track has a tendency to trench more easier and requires some rear skid/shock setup to help that. But the CE will hook up so much better than the 5.1. It will also brake coming down hills and coming hard into corners. The 5.1 will excel in super light powder but even here in Colorado we don't have that but maybe 20% of the year. The CE is a great track that was a huge upgrade for the IQ sleds, I'm just not sure it's as big of an upgrade for the Pro.

You must be riding a different part of Colorado than me. We typically have MONTHS of super light dry powder, in which the stock track seems to work great.

I agree with the consensus though, the CE is probably better on hard snow. I don't know anybody running one around me though, mostly Cats on Powder Claws..

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Track

I just installed the 9174 under my 13 pro gonna try it out this year. One big reason for the change was the lower gearing it will give me and a little more room in the tunnel up front and also taller more aggressive lug design, should be a winner for me and the Utah snow I ride

O
Oct 11, 2012
Boston
I had both in the same week of a big dump of snow... My Pro has the stock, buddies has the CE. The CE may be better all around but is a rough ride on trails... But trail riding shouldn't be a factor. We have to ride 20+ miles some days and the CE is rumble-ee. Also, on powder fresh deep it doesn't have as much flex and digs in a bit. In the Northeast, the "powder" doesn't last long. I'm sticking with stock because I didn't have trouble in the harder pack with it and loved it other wise. So....can't go wrong either way. Coin toss IMO.

C

catlsled

Jan 2, 2013
Snoqualmie, WA
Thanks for all the useful info - think I will probably try the CE 2.5 this season. As FYI - was talking to guy at Snow Show and brought up something hadn't thought about and influenced decision to try. I am decent rider but we still have those cascade concrete days where dropping into chute or drainage is basically aim and hope like hell you don't have to turn big to avoid trees as you are traveling at mach speed down the hill with high pucker factor. He was telling me the CE 2.5 is better than the stock in controlling your decent in those situations. I guess firmer lugs and different tread pattern help to control speed as was always crapshoot on how fast you would be going looking for good out at bottom. Just thought would share that factor as don't see discussed much and not sure if people would agree or disagree so don't shoot the messenger it was just feedback :face-icon-small-sho

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I installed the CE 2.5 on my 11 Pro but I did it with a lot of other changes at the same time (VEI tunnel, C3 powersports belt drive, Avid Drop & Roll etc). I am definitely sold on the CE. Uphill or downhill, it works in WA snow. 2 thumbs up.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You must be riding a different part of Colorado than me. We typically have MONTHS of super light dry powder, in which the stock track seems to work great.

I agree with the consensus though, the CE is probably better on hard snow. I don't know anybody running one around me though, mostly Cats on Powder Claws..

C'mon, you can't tell me that you have The super light powder (the sugar snow) more than 20% of the time in Colorado. Last year might have been an exception but it's not too often that the snow is that light. I live high in the mountains. My point is that's the snow conditions where the 5.1 beats the CE.

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
could I get a comparison of the ce and the assault track? never used a ce but I have a rmk le ordered, the assault track was good but overkill, I think the 5.1 maybe to powder specific

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Stock track is really not bad, but (having had both over the years) if I was buying a new track i'd get the CE for sure, just better all around

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Thanks for all the useful info - think I will probably try the CE 2.5 this season. As FYI - was talking to guy at Snow Show and brought up something hadn't thought about and influenced decision to try. I am decent rider but we still have those cascade concrete days where dropping into chute or drainage is basically aim and hope like hell you don't have to turn big to avoid trees as you are traveling at mach speed down the hill with high pucker factor. He was telling me the CE 2.5 is better than the stock in controlling your decent in those situations. I guess firmer lugs and different tread pattern help to control speed as was always crapshoot on how fast you would be going looking for good out at bottom. Just thought would share that factor as don't see discussed much and not sure if people would agree or disagree so don't shoot the messenger it was just feedback :face-icon-small-sho
BRAKING - this is exactly why I put one of the CE tracks on my wife's 700 Dragon not too long after she got it. I have to admit I was not convinced of the need for it until I rode her sled (with stock track) with a friend of mine one fine spring day... coming downhill, he was able to scrub off enough speed when he got to the trail down below, no matter what I did I could not slow down enough and sailed right on down the hill below the trail... switched out her track and never had that issue again. I had 10 years mountain riding experience at the time, it wasn't rider error... used all my usual tricks to get it to bite and slow...

Have a CE 163 on my Carls Dragon, kept her CE off her Dragon for her new Pro... debated getting a 3" pitch CE for her new sled but don't want to have to go to antistab and trim the rails, so 2.86 pitch CE it is.

Premium Features