• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

carb tuning

B
Nov 15, 2009
Gunnison Co.
96 500 with twin pipes boared over to 540. seems to idle at about 1500, but gradually wants to climb to 3000. A little choke brings it back down, then it climbs back up again.
Riding at 9000 to 11500' Jetting is as factory specd under the hood of a 96 500. What am I missing?
Anyone running this altitude,sled? Whats your set up?
Also what should be my engagement rpm. THANKS

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
If it was fine before and just started doing that I would say pull the carbs and check the pilots. They might have some varnish or something in them, that will cause the lean condition at idle you are experiencing.

D
Nov 2, 2008
I would also try the air screw. I've seen even 1/8 turn make a difference.
If that doesn't work, maybe with the pipes and bore, you need to run the next size up in pilot jet? Just a thought.
Engagement should be around 3500-4000 for best results.

D

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
At that altitude you are losing HP with them twin pipes. Those pipes only made 3 or 4 HP at sea level at peak and lost HP everywhere else. The 96' and newer 500 Y-pipe/pipe combo is the best set up for that motor IMO.

Back in the day DYNOTECH research tested them. You might be able to find the article on line.

As for your issue, like others said, clean the pilots real good and then adjust the airscew. Sounds like you are righ ton for the pilots which is a good place to be. You can fine tune with the air screw for temp changes.

I forget what weights I ran @ 6-9K but I always jetted 2 sizes leaner than what Polaris recommended, for the secondary I ran a Polaris 40-36 with a red spring in #3, in the primary I ran an Almond round and I don't remember the weights. Maybe 10MB. Shoot for 8100 on the tach.

Looking back I think I would run a 40-34. I had a 136X1.5 camoplast track on that machine geared to 20-39 with 8th drivers.

Premium Features