• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions, and statements to A/C after release...

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Let them have it!! Someone needs to wake up A/C corporate!! This release was a total let down!! WTF ! I was hoping the new CEO would make a difference. I have loved A/C, and been as loyal as I can, but there's nothing keeping me excited here anymore!!

K

bozo

Nov 23, 2010
My cat is going to make a good back up sled for next year. How hard can it be to manufacture new plastic body panels that are narrow and fit better?....and move those handlebar switches to the dash somewhere.....unhappy.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I've lost any faith

Let them have it!! Someone needs to wake up A/C corporate!! This release was a total let down!! WTF ! I was hoping the new CEO would make a difference. I have loved A/C, and been as loyal as I can, but there's nothing keeping me excited here anymore!!
I woke at 3:00 am to have a look on the website, hoping to find anything to perk my interest. There wasn't anything - not even the snow bike. The reveal was similar to a kid doing an assignment given in school with a 3 month window, only to start and finish it the night before it was due. Sure, the Mtn Cat got an extended chaincase, new rails and new hand grips, but they just shaved some material off the outside of the boards, and couldn't be bothered to tuck the side panels in... the attention to detail of a grade 7 shop class - nothing the aftermarket couldn't do better for less $$$. Gonna be a tough sell north of the border - the "Mountain Cat" with ES prices out $1200 higher then the new Summit X 850 with a 3" x 165" and E-start. Looks like I keep both my sleds for another year or two and then part them out, as the dealers are gonna be flooded with carryovers again going into 2018. 2017 will be a good year for the other manufacturers and aftermarket parts sales, as you can buy a holdover and build an exciting sled for similar money then a 2017...

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Not sure.

I'm kinda disappointed with what they unveiled.
The Drive shaft seems a little to low. Kinda worried about that hitting stuff and getting damaged.
Thought for sure this would be the year the new c-tec 800 or 850 or bigger 2 stroke motor would come out.
I do love my 2016 so it's an easy choice for me not to snow check.
Maybe next year's mountain cat we'll get a bunch of new stuff???

E
Nov 28, 2007
WESTERN SLOPE
Arctic Cat is kind of like buying a cheap Chinese knock off anymore. They used to have great sleds (M Series) now.... well I think they have all but given up. Arctic Cat shoots and misses at every thing they try, Wildcat, Proclimb, SVX. Good luck Cat, you are going to need it!!

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I sadly agree with everyone. Another let down year from Arctic Cat. I was really hoping to see some excitment from Arctic Cat next year. How much longer should a guy wait? What happened to "Share our passion?"

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Yes agree no excitement but,,

Business thinking I would not go up against the new Doo, I would wait the year. And make sure we (Cat) have our game on!

OldFart I agree they could have had some new plastic done up to move the side panels in

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I was hoping for more this year but there are some notable things that I do like:
-Going back to the Original names(Mountain cat, thundercat, ZR, ect).
-The new graphics are pretty sick...although with the amount of sled wrap manufactures out there people arnt looking for the sled to come personalized from the factory.
-There are some notable changes in rear suspension and chaincase design. These can be seen on a post in the Proclimb section. Its been reported there was an 8 lb. loss from 16-17.

What needs to change:
-7th year running the 800Ho, they better have the fuel maps mastered by now...
-Came clunky, ugly, in-your-way handlebar controls they've had since 2007. Best thing I ever did to my M was relocate those
-PRICE. This 14K, 15K, 16K prices for a sled are ridiculous. A new mountain sled should be 12K. My buddy just sno checked a 17 summit w/ estart for 12,600. A M7 used to be like 7,800$ what gives??

F
Jan 25, 2011
Listen guys, i'm really not a hater but....

Bought a m8 2011. Had problems with clutches, APV, motor mount,low end bog etc etc. and made a bunch of mods to make the sled perform "well". This was supposed to be THE machine.

Waited 5 long years to see IF they finally can get rid of all those problems that you guys, the real riders , talked on MANY MANY forums what was wrong with those sleds. I really think you got it this year but the Team clutches, what a joke!!!
They(AC dumbass guys) didn't listen to anybody!

Before buying, i heard so many complaints that Polaris and BRP was junk, engine crap, etc etc etc.Well, i'm the only one with AC and IN 5 YEARS , NOBODY IN MY GROUP BLOWN AN ENGINE OR HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS LIKE ME!!! NOBODY!!!

So next year, i'm gonna sign the fragile like crystal Poo or the ugliest BRP 850 2017 and stop wasting my time in my garage and my money to try to get your junk on the snow.

Sorry but enough is enough.....

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
when cat and yamaha announced their collaboration a few years ago, i thought it would bring out the best parts of each company....i think each picked a couple of the things they wanted most from the other, but no real progress or innovation from either....doesn't seem good going forward for either....with that said, the m-8 has the best proven engine of the bunch, track is the best, trail ride is better than poo and about equal with doo...handling is better than doo, and on a par with poo....i usually put $1500-4000 in custom work on a sled to make it work better for me; and i think i end up with a better sled if i start with a cat....a 174 option, stock would have made the difference for a snowcheck for me...most other gripes are small and inconsequential...dependability is most important single issue for me, that rules out doo for a least one year....i bought an axys this year as a stock backup, but so many start/electrical problems, i took it back to the dealer....cat's a smaller company, and they need to try harder with things that are relatively easy to address, i thought the clutches were fixed, but i'm hearing too many problems there....clutching, gearing should be pretty well setup to the customer, but i'm not seeing that either...:brokenheart:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I was hoping for more this year but there are some notable things that I do like:
-Going back to the Original names(Mountain cat, thundercat, ZR, ect).
-The new graphics are pretty sick...although with the amount of sled wrap manufactures out there people arnt looking for the sled to come personalized from the factory.
-There are some notable changes in rear suspension and chaincase design. These can be seen on a post in the Proclimb section. Its been reported there was an 8 lb. loss from 16-17.

What needs to change:
-7th year running the 800Ho, they better have the fuel maps mastered by now...
-Came clunky, ugly, in-your-way handlebar controls they've had since 2007. Best thing I ever did to my M was relocate those
-PRICE. This 14K, 15K, 16K prices for a sled are ridiculous. A new mountain sled should be 12K. My buddy just sno checked a 17 summit w/ estart for 12,600. A M7 used to be like 7,800$ what gives??

Not arguing too much, but prices have been out of control for a long time. Base MSRP on a 2006 M7 was over 10k. You've got to go back to 2003 for a top of the line Cat mountain sled under 10k.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Hey Cat 150k per year I could help ( who ever it is giving you guys your ideas) COM ON MAN !

FYI I just seen a 13 XF that drove over a buried rock and busted the corner tab on the chain case, in and out piece and plastic gaurd never even cracked. How is the CC on the 17 MC going to work out ? Can you say parts sale. And Who said the atack angle was bad on the 16 ? I wonder how much of a problem it is with these new large lug tracks?
As I said 150k py, cheep. I will save you huge. Not to mention negotiations ! Why not have Yami clutches on them or have Yami manufacture the old one you know the one that was close to a P85. Or just make it with quality materials not crap. This stuff is easy ! And the list goes on :)

T
Jan 24, 2015
Sask
Are they done with the 1100 engine? I've been riding my evo 280 big chute for 4 seasons now, and love it. I'm definitely not going to the yami engine. The 1100 motor you can get a lot more hp for a lot less $

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
after shopping new sleds, looking at the new releases, and cant stomach the prices, I think with what I have learned with my wife's sled, I am just going to refresh and update my 09 m8 as well.

I mean... the year before last, I hit the big rock with mine, and replaced the ENTIRE drive line, dimond drive, both clutches, added stm powervalves, rear suspension, track ect... last year I had the shocks refreshed, and then with all that done... I put less than 100 miles on the sled on the "rebuild". this year, I had the motor mounts replaced, and the clutches aligned. the only thing that needs updating to have a fully rebuilt, "new sled" is the motor.

I am leaning toward, either a drop in big bore kit that is well known ( rkt 925 kit).

or new top end, and new rkt head, cyl shim (the 15hp kit from rk tek).

I could also go with the slp stage three kit, and then I would just need to have them port and mod the head. as I have the pipe already.

or somewhere in the middle of my choices. I have never been impressed with the non ho 800 I have in mine, it seized the second ride after buying new, and cat rebuilt it. but, even with a pipe, in my opinion, it was never as strong as my wifes' stocker.

I am just looking for a bit more hp, and figured, while I am in there, it doesn't really cost that much more. any suggestions? hoping Eric @ racin station chimes in, he knows these Suzuki motors well. Ski

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dakota performance porting and slp pipe, huge difference on the non HO motor

after shopping new sleds, looking at the new releases, and cant stomach the prices, I think with what I have learned with my wife's sled, I am just going to refresh and update my 09 m8 as well.

I mean... the year before last, I hit the big rock with mine, and replaced the ENTIRE drive line, dimond drive, both clutches, added stm powervalves, rear suspension, track ect... last year I had the shocks refreshed, and then with all that done... I put less than 100 miles on the sled on the "rebuild". this year, I had the motor mounts replaced, and the clutches aligned. the only thing that needs updating to have a fully rebuilt, "new sled" is the motor.

I am leaning toward, either a drop in big bore kit that is well known ( rkt 925 kit).

or new top end, and new rkt head, cyl shim (the 15hp kit from rk tek).

I could also go with the slp stage three kit, and then I would just need to have them port and mod the head. as I have the pipe already.

or somewhere in the middle of my choices. I have never been impressed with the non ho 800 I have in mine, it seized the second ride after buying new, and cat rebuilt it. but, even with a pipe, in my opinion, it was never as strong as my wifes' stocker.

I am just looking for a bit more hp, and figured, while I am in there, it doesn't really cost that much more. any suggestions? hoping Eric @ racin station chimes in, he knows these Suzuki motors well. Ski

T
Mar 24, 2015
They did tuck the side panels, 8 tooth driver all new plastics 9lbs lighter, new boards hand grips, lowered the chain case and moved the sled 2" forward on the boards... in the unvaile they didn't show a hole lot but if you go on the engineers interview they explained. All that, also next year he said the 800 ctexh will be out, they just wanted another year with the motor

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
My cat is going to make a good back up sled for next year. How hard can it be to manufacture new plastic body panels that are narrow and fit better?....and move those handlebar switches to the dash somewhere.....unhappy.

Funny. Some Poo guys are complaining that the controls need to be put back up on the handlebars. I have a 2010 m8 and love it, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for a 16 or 17 M8000 from what I hear about the handling. I also love the look of the newer ones. And why do so many want a new engine? The Susuki is the best one out there. Yea there's going to be a lemon here and there, but I wouldn't want anything else. If it's for better mileage, how much less would it cost for a days ride with the new one? A couple of bucks? I'll keep the one that's like the energizer bunny. It go's
and go's.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I really think the lackluster release was driven in part by dealers siting on a lot of inventory right now. Maybe 800 ctec at Haydays, I think an additional motor for the ZR-RS edition. I too was a bit disappointed. ( ACAT has to know patients is wearing thin on the new 800 release) but I have to think that 2018 could be an interesting release!

ACAT also needs to find its identity and get its mojo back, they are kind of just fluttering right now. They pushed high HP and powerful sleds years back, maybe around 2010, then went and pushed comfort on twin spar and procross, now I'm just not sure where they are at, the procross and proclimb are much improved, but I still believe that chassis and drivetrain scrubs power. I think they still band-aid this with gearing too, after the 2012- belt blowing fiasco.

Last gen M with the diamond drive seemed more efficient!

-Stack

Premium Features