• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rebuild on m8

W
Nov 27, 2007
bear creek, montana
Hi I have a 2007 m8 162
How many miles before you rebuild top end ?
Compression cylinder 1 126lbs cylinder 2 128lbs @ 6200'
I have 4630 miles on it and it's never been done.
I'm a back country rider not a trail master.
Do I have to pull motor to do a top end rebuild?
Thanks

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
It's anybodys guess but that's up there on the miles and yes if you can afford a top end i would do it and you can do it in the sled

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Would you guys know if I can pop out the rollers on the secondary clutch to replace them?

Yes the rollers can be replaced the clutch needs to be taken apart to do so. With the miles you have its time to have the sleeve bushing addressed. Racin station can take care of you for that.

The topend subject is kind of personal preference, If you are really going to be feeding her the corn then I would say yes not a bad idea to do it. My 07 XF800 had 6000 miles on it and it had 120psi per cylinder. I sold it to my boss fully disclosing the condition, he decided to just run it and said "when it goes, it goes" and it now has 9,500 miles still running strong...

D
Apr 17, 2016
As said if you hammer it in the deep powder a lot then I'd say it's about time just think of it as preventing dropping a skirt or whatever else may decide to break. It will cost you more than 300 if it does unless you get very Lucy...

R
Dec 6, 2010
Yes the rollers can be replaced the clutch needs to be taken apart to do so. With the miles you have its time to have the sleeve bushing addressed. Racin station can take care of you for that.

The topend subject is kind of personal preference, If you are really going to be feeding her the corn then I would say yes not a bad idea to do it. My 07 XF800 had 6000 miles on it and it had 120psi per cylinder. I sold it to my boss fully disclosing the condition, he decided to just run it and said "when it goes, it goes" and it now has 9,500 miles still running strong...

What's this sleeve bushing you speak of?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
last year, prime time, wife's 09 m8 hurt the mag cyl at 4000 miles. powervalve seat wore, allowing powervalve to contact the piston, result= zero compression 40 miles from the nearest town, in the back country of northern Ontario. towed out, no fun. cost us a cyl, full top end rebuild, and a powervalve.

mine (same year model sled) has 5000 miles, no issues. did top end this offseason for preventative maintenance. live and learn. you can pay a small price now, or a BIG PRICE later.

sleeve bushing is in the secondary, wear out regularly. M&M in Michigan, and bdx will repair some of them. others you have to buy a whole secondary to replace them. bdx said earlier this year, they were making the last run of these secondary clutches for the diamond drive. Ski

Premium Features