• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Front (Ski) Shock Length

Jeff95

Premium Member
Jan 11, 2009
Terrebonne, Oregon
Anyone get to measure the 2013 Pro Front (Ski) Shock extended Length?
I just got Fox Evol R for my 09 dragon and hope they fit on the 13 pro.
I thought I read that the 13 where shorter than the 12. So my new foxz's are 17" C/C extended.

Thanks

Jeff

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The 12s are 17.5 so you should be good.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
I read somewhere that they might have changed from the 2012 to the 2013. Not sure if it was just the mounting location on the new arms or a shock change length. It looks like Carls Cycle has one at their shop so maybe they could let us know.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The new 2013 Pro RMK shock is almost an inch shorter than the 11/12' Pro.

2013 PRO RMK is 16.63" extended (Center to Center length)

2011/12 PRO RMK is 17.50" extended

A Dragon/IQ is 17.20" extended.

Some of this is because of the new design lower a-arm on the 13 which has a higher mounting point on the a-arm for the lower shock eye... I think that the 13 also dropped the ride height in the front a bit... which may account for some improved handling character of the sled.. but I have no solid info on that.

I'm not sure on the Standard RMK... that info is not available yet.

Your Foxes for the Dragon would fit... but would raise the ride height..plus you would need to enlarge the holes in the shock reducer bushings to 10mm.

You could send them into a good fox shop and get them shimmed to reduce the extended length... but that would also reduce the total travel... The PRO RMK evol R's also have a different valving package.

Last edited:

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
2012 A-arms on 2013?

MH, are the inner mounting locations the same on a 2013? I see the swaybar mount is different, but if I have a set of aftermarket a-arms on a 2012, would they fit on the 2013, mount up with the swaybar and be able to keep/use the high end shocks I have on my 2012?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yes.. Your entire front end from the 2012 will swap over to the 2013... including A-arms and shocks.

Pics of the two front ends... 2012 first

Notice that the 2013 lower is mounted inboard and higher with the aluminum end forging.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Jeff95

Premium Member
Jan 11, 2009
Terrebonne, Oregon
After looking at the 2013 swaybar mount. Is that mount glued to the arm? Is the glue really that strong?

Do you think the valving would be worth changing?
I know my dealing with Fox with my mountain bikes have been really good. So maybe I could send them in to get revalved if its not to much money!

I'm still liking my dragon. But have to say my last ride out I was with two guys on 2012 pro's. We where in 3-4' freash snow and early in the day I had no problem going and staying with them. But later in the day after it warmed up my dragon was pushing more snow and trentching (Getting Stuck). The pro's got right up on top and tractored circle around me!!

Jeff

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Going to be interesting to see how well these new lower a arms hold up to the rocks and trees compared to the ones now. Will they fold up/damage as easy? How much more expensive to replace?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Polaris makes a great lower a-arm kit for the 11/12's, can be had for $178 per side, at least that's what I paid. Now, ask me how I know...:face-icon-small-coo

My hunch is the new 13's are going to be abit more to rock/wreck.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Polaris makes a great lower a-arm kit for the 11/12's, can be had for $178 per side, at least that's what I paid. Now, ask me how I know...:face-icon-small-coo

My hunch is the new 13's are going to be abit more to rock/wreck.

OK nibble nibble... Does this kit include the '13 lower A arms and whatever it takes to make the 11-12 shocks fit the new lowers arms? And the real question will be whether the new lowers will be strong enough to make people stop buying the others due to the superior strength and lighter weight of some of those available via the aftermarket offerings?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Going to be interesting to see how well these new lower a arms hold up to the rocks and trees compared to the ones now. Will they fold up/damage as easy? How much more expensive to replace?

I tagged a tree and stump on the 13 and did not notice any damage... They held up well.

As far as expense... IMO... they are easier to build and cut down on weld/finish time... the end forging once the cost is spread over the entire production run... IMO... other than the "bling" and light weight... they would not be too much more costly to make than the previous models... My guess is less than $40 per arm more.

A

AKRMK25

Feb 7, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
Piggy Back WE on the 13 Pro

I was hoping that the assault was going to get the belt drive so I could get the piggy back shocks and the belt drive. No such luck. Now I'm trying to figure out if the assault shocks will fit on the standard Pro so I can have the best of both worlds. Anybody know if they will cross over?

Jeff95

Premium Member
Jan 11, 2009
Terrebonne, Oregon
Come on guys!
What gets bent on the lower arms? The back tube is what gets bent on mine. Now tell me why the new design will prevent the back tube from bending? If anything I think by removing the cross piece that the swaybar use to connect to will make them weaker.
The new design has to be cheaper to build. So, if the new design is to provide a less exspense a-arm than thats good. So the replacement price will tell all. Plus they should offer replacement tubes.
Has anyone looked at the new Pro-climb lower a-arms. They are a very simple design and 45% cheaper to replace than the pro's. (Babitts $104 to $185).

Jeff

V
Oct 28, 2009
Mountain horse, I just bought a pair of fox shocks and they came with 10 mm reducers. Will these fit the 600 pro rmk, or will I need 3/8 reducers? I seem to recall polaris usually uses 3/8, but maybe they changed to 10 mm?

Thanks!

Jon

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Mountain horse, I just bought a pair of fox shocks and they came with 10 mm reducers. Will these fit the 600 pro rmk, or will I need 3/8 reducers? I seem to recall polaris usually uses 3/8, but maybe they changed to 10 mm?

Thanks!

Jon

Depends on the year? 2012 pros use a 10 mm on the top and bottom of the front shock.

2013 use a 10 mm on top and a 8 mm on the bottom of the front shock. Except the assult model I think it still uses the 2012 style.

Premium Features