• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Thoughts what to do?

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Hey Guys, wondering if I could get some opinions on what to do with my '10 M8. 29xx miles has new secondary clutch and dealer installed top end. primary clutch is shot and stuck. needs replaced and cosmetically is rough. Been trying to sell for $3k (well over $4k into it) and no bites.
so.. Found a complete turbo set up and primary clutch for $1500. is it worth the time, money, and effort to make this sled or sell it as is and try to upgrade chassis like ive been trying to do? any help is awesome thanks!

trade pic 1.jpg trade pic 2.jpg

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Guess it depends on what you are looking to get out of it. A new primary clutch isn't to expensive if you just want to get the machine fixed and running, and certainly one with a turbo set up properly can pack quite a punch. The chassis is not quite as nibble as the newer sleds but power wise it is still right there. You have the 800HO motor that is still used in the 2017's.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Guess it depends on what you are looking to get out of it. A new primary clutch isn't to expensive if you just want to get the machine fixed and running, and certainly one with a turbo set up properly can pack quite a punch. The chassis is not quite as nibble as the newer sleds but power wise it is still right there. You have the 800HO motor that is still used in the 2017's.

thanks for the input! im just looking for a reliable MTN sled that can keep up with my buddies '15 '16 Pro. I go west roughly 2-4 times a year depending on the guys in my group. would love the power of a turbo but want it to worth keeping a few years instead of upgrading now.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
A new clutch and a good used 2.6" track will do that!

I agree. The 2.6 is a great modification. I also recommend a nice set of aftermarket skis, Powder Pros have always worked great for me. I think the M8 and the Pro Rmk go head to head very well.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
thinking of going the turbo route, too cheap to pass up and sounds like it should be a ripper with 36" front end + Turbo. sound like a good plan?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Doesnt look too cosmetically challenged from the pics.?

Depending upon the turbo and ur experience with turbos, u may lose some reliability.

With a new top end and two new clutches, and appropriate dd bearing and brake side bearing maintenance, I think u have a very good sled. I dont have the 2.6 on mine but have heard very good things about it.

Depends where u want to be in the pecking order. I just want a sled which will enable me to hold my own with the riding group.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Put a primary on it and sell it!

2-4 trips a year you don't want to waste fixing and figuring crap out. Buying a cheap kit is only buying more problems.

You will be glad you did.

Get a new chassis, then make a few changes to make it the best out can be.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Spend $400 on a new primary and sell the sled. You should be able to get $3500 for a '10 M8 with so many fresh parts. Most people do not want to buy something broken unless the price is REALLY REALLY low.

The new chassis is worth it. The sled you have was tops in its day. It is definitely more work for you to keep up on that machine. Treat yourself to something even easier to handle.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Appreciate all the response! haven't made any purchases yet so im taking all comments into consideration. found a really cheap good primary so will be slapping that on so I can check the sled over in more detail.
im really hoping for $3500 once the primary is fixed, should be realistic?

Premium Features