• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Random Bog (With Video)

B
Feb 6, 2012
2014 BD 2860 tial @ 7-8lbs boost on av @ 0-4k ft.

Sled has a random bog that hits when grabbing a handful of throttle. It Does it at the most inconvenient times possible. Mostly it is when i am on/off the throttle aggressively. Have gone through the entire sled and have yet to find anything out of the ordinary. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
:face-icon-small-con

Here is some video of the bog/breakup. (in the description it tells you at what times in the video it breaks up).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVu0aic8i-c

B
Feb 6, 2012
Unlikely on a 14. It. It's probably a touch on the rich side and it giving you a "goat"

Correct me if im wrong (because i probably am). If it was to rich there would probably be more of a studder before the bog? The plugs and afr gauge dont really show me its too rich by any means, but its not like im shutting the machine down mid bog to check them either. Im pretty stumped on this, also i should note that if you were riding the sled down the trail it would not do this. The only times it does this is in a high demand/high load scenario.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Check your exhaust bellows may have one with a small tear. Also you can bypass the selonoide that goes to the the power valves and hook both hoses together to bypass the selonoide. I have not tried that my self but I do know guys who have and it cleared up this same issue on stock sleds . Also the obvious, check for leaks. The smallest boost leak can throw you for a loop. Check all hoses and tees, they get brittle and will crack and you won't see it with a quick glance.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
While your under the hood check to see how much play your motor mounts have if they are wore out.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Check your exhaust bellows may have one with a small tear. Also you can bypass the selonoide that goes to the the power valves and hook both hoses together to bypass the selonoide. I have not tried that my self but I do know guys who have and it cleared up this same issue on stock sleds . Also the obvious, check for leaks. The smallest boost leak can throw you for a loop. Check all hoses and tees, they get brittle and will crack and you won't see it with a quick glance.

going to try out see if it gets us anywhere. We have checked for boost leaks multiple times wit no luck!

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mine has just started to do this same thing my last ride, It's weird it doesn't do it very often, like you can't get it to do it if you want to but then randomly it will do it when of course its when your in the worst spot possible lol... Also it seems much worse if I turn the boost up a pound or more, but maybe thats in my head:face-icon-small-dis

Mine is obviously not a tuning issue since it has ran flawless everywhere for a 1,000 miles now, I also just replaced both exhaust bellows before last ride. I did notice a lot of the exhaust springs were getting weak, I replaced a couple that I could rob from another sled... You think a guy should just get all new springs? what about the pipe do they ever start to leak out of small hole or do they blow completely when they go? wonder if a guy needs to take heat shield off and check? Gonna check for boost leaks as well.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Mine has just started to do this same thing my last ride, It's weird it doesn't do it very often, like you can't get it to do it if you want to but then randomly it will do it when of course its when your in the worst spot possible lol... Also it seems much worse if I turn the boost up a pound or more, but maybe thats in my head:face-icon-small-dis

Mine is obviously not a tuning issue since it has ran flawless everywhere for a 1,000 miles now, I also just replaced both exhaust bellows before last ride. I did notice a lot of the exhaust springs were getting weak, I replaced a couple that I could rob from another sled... You think a guy should just get all new springs? what about the pipe do they ever start to leak out of small hole or do they blow completely when they go? wonder if a guy needs to take heat shield off and check? Gonna check for boost leaks as well.

Sounds like we have a very similar issue, if not maybe the same. Mine ran what i would call flawless for about 500 miles, and as the snow got deeper and I was demanding more out of the machine this began to happen. Im not completely ruling out a boost leak, but im fairly confident if i do have one its not in my exhaust.

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Did you check your motor mounts out of curiosity . Pull up and down of the primary clutch and see how much it moves.. You did check your tps to see if it was in speck?

Last edited:
A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Check your drive clutch. I had a very similar issue with my Silber kit and it was my drive clutch. It would ONLY do it under load and I could NEVER get it to do it on the trail. After a rebuild of my clutch the problem went away. Crazy but true.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Did you check your motor mounts out of curiosity . Pull up and down of the primary clutch and see how much it moves.. You did check your tps to see if it was in speck?

I did check both of these things. the sled is pretty low milage (under 600). the tps was one of the first things on my list but it checked out fine.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Check your drive clutch. I had a very similar issue with my Silber kit and it was my drive clutch. It would ONLY do it under load and I could NEVER get it to do it on the trail. After a rebuild of my clutch the problem went away. Crazy but true.

How many miles did you have on your drive clutch??? Anything inparticular to look for?

B

briand

Nov 27, 2007
Rolly View, Alberta, Canada
Sounds like we have a very similar issue, if not maybe the same. Mine ran what i would call flawless for about 500 miles, and as the snow got deeper and I was demanding more out of the machine this began to happen. Im not completely ruling out a boost leak, but im fairly confident if i do have one its not in my exhaust.

I have trouble with this goat also. I have the 2013 boondocker kit in my 12 800 pro but I also have a RKTec dropin kit. the goating issue was quite bad on my machine. what seem to help me out a lot but not completely cured it was changing out the exhaust valve springs to a
7041786--11 PINK/YELLOW 9.0 - 11.5 pounds . reduced the goating i had by a big amount but still have it from time to time at higher boost levels (10 pounds boost @ 2200 ft). maybe this might help you out.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
The goat usually comes to visit when your too rich :spy:

I say also too rich.

Maybe but only if its a mechanical failure causing it IMO.... These things do not run perfect for 5-1000 miles and all of a sudden it needs to be re tuned. This isn't a Dobeck box.

Something happened, something has changed to make it bog now. We need to find whats causing it.

B
Feb 6, 2012
I would have to think that if they were that rich we would be able to tell by plug reading/afr (correct me if im wrong). The fact that it isnt super consistent makes me lean towards it being something in the electrical system. Will double check plugs and afr, see if maybe im missing something.

B
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe but only if its a mechanical failure causing it IMO.... These things do not run perfect for 5-1000 miles and all of a sudden it needs to be re tuned. This isn't a Dobeck box.

Something happened, something has changed to make it bog now. We need to find whats causing it.

Thats exactly what im saying.... we are just running out of things to test/swap!:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features