• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

i cant take it anymore

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
If you can afford to purchase a $5 k turbo kit why on gods green earth would you not run at least 50% race fuel? Fuel is cheap compared to a blown motor. Let's assume a good rebuild cost 1500. Race fuel runs 5 per gallon more than 92. 1500/5 equals 300 gallons. Lets assume your sled gets 5 mpg. Your break even on a top end/ motor rebuild is 3000 miles. At a 50/50 blend. Its more than that if your motor takes out your turbo and or other equipment. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$. I just don't understand why people are afraid to run race gas. If you have a turbo, don't be afraid to run it. If you need race gas, give me a call.

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
I agree i run 100% av gas as far as throttle response goes a properly setup turbo setup has throttle response better then a stock sled.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Here in ak av is 5.50, 110 around $14.

It's not so much the cost of race gas as much as it's the convienence of pump gas. We have one in our group who runs race gas, and it sucks going on a longer trip, stuffing the trailer with sleds, ridin and camping gear, then Trying to figure out where to put his drum of fuel.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
We don't run 50/50, because it's not anywhere close to what is needed for us. Riding at 9,000 feet or higher and running 8lbs, 20% race is plenty of octane for our kits.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Run as little as you can safely.

It is impressive how much better they run out of the hole. that being said, if your always bouncing off the det sensor, you need to evaluate your fueling. But assuming your fueling/tuning is on point, over octane is nothing more then a waste of money and performance.

I know i have set a few on straight 91 on lower boost. being able to roll up to the pump and top off without worrying about chasing down gas is a HUGE factor for many. and I have seen plenty of turbos running straight pump in the 6-9k foot range that will flat stomp any NA sleds. so yeah, higher intital investment, but just a LOT more power to be had still on the pump gas program.

i ride my sled 2-4 rides a week, many times at the drop of a hat, and having to worry about having race gas is not something im willing to deal with.

Last edited:
A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
Its about 8 bucks a gallon for 110 here. Its significantly less if you buy 250 gallons at a time.I guess my point was that I'm willing to give up a little bit of performance to have my motor hold up. Im not willing to put my motor at risk cause the gas at any given station was not fresh. We use 110 so we can blend it with 92 where we ride. That way we can get the same octane as av but haul half as many barrels.

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
race gas

Race gas does not kill throttle response. Too much race gas does kill throttle response. AV gas is the best fuel as far as consistency and shelf life. Sonoco
only has a 1 year shelf life in a sealed drum. VP two years. AV seven years.
The same applies to AV as Race, too much octane slow throttle response.
If you can buy AV use it. FYI mixing either one with ETH fuel sucks.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
We don't run 50/50, because it's not anywhere close to what is needed for us. Riding at 9,000 feet or higher and running 8lbs, 20% race is plenty of octane for our kits.

Yes! I'm over 9k too (more like 10K). I ran about 70% av fuel because I had it and was working on some other issues. Rode on a very warm day and the sled ran terrible. I had a TPS issue too but I agree that you only run what you need. Since I haven't seen the DET light yet, I'll drop down to about 20-30%.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
i run 7 lbs of boost and run 1 gallon of av per tank usually. I only do this for the risk of getting some bad 91. if I know im getting some good non ethanol fuel from my local co op I wouldn't even bother putting any av in. 1800 boosted miles this way and 2700 total on my 13. no issues.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I'm just repeating what has been said already, but I am running a ported 800 at 10.5-11lbs of boost and only run 30% mix of 110 with premium. Too much race fuel and you lose bottom end performance.....surprises me how often people screw this up and think they need straight race.....or even 50/50. Its best to ask your builder what they recommend for your mix/blend.

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
I'm just repeating what has been said already, but I am running a ported 800 at 10.5-11lbs of boost and only run 30% mix of 110 with premium. Too much race fuel and you lose bottom end performance.....surprises me how often people screw this up and think they need straight race.....or even 50/50. Its best to ask your builder what they recommend for your mix/blend.

What elevation?

M
Jan 26, 2013
If you are trying to make power it is a fact of physics that you get more power out of lower octane fuel. I'm not saying don't run high octane if your tune up requires it but as a talking point lower makes power.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
The guy with the toasted 2014 pro in the post just above this one should have read this post. Part of the reason I put in good fuel is in case I go lower in elevation than I planned to. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think everyone will agree too much octane is better than not enough. The owner of that 14 pro turbo just learned that lesson the hard way. The good news is that you should only need to learn it once!!

Premium Features