• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any one else take the "Bill Clinton" trails near Union Pass?

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
I know its risky and illegal, but we came across some trails a couple years ago near Union Pass/Wind River Mnt range that were shut down. We decided to take a few and some were actually great, but some were real risky at some points. Trails can be closed down obviously because they can become dangerous and it makes the forrest rangers' jobs easier, but some of the trails were actually very harmless and quite entertaining. Talking to a few locals they told me that Bill Clinton signed several green laws back in the 90s that yielded the closure of snowmobile trails in various areas, including the Wind River Mountain range. Just wondering if any one else has taken them? How as your experience? Sure they might be illegal but I know of people who do worse haha.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I know its risky and illegal, but we came across some trails a couple years ago near Union Pass/Wind River Mnt range that were shut down. We decided to take a few and some were actually great, but some were real risky at some points. Trails can be closed down obviously because they can become dangerous and it makes the forrest rangers' jobs easier, but some of the trails were actually very harmless and quite entertaining. Talking to a few locals they told me that Bill Clinton signed several green laws back in the 90s that yielded the closure of snowmobile trails in various areas, including the Wind River Mountain range. Just wondering if any one else has taken them? How as your experience? Sure they might be illegal but I know of people who do worse haha.

Are you for real? If you want to ride in closed areas please do us all a favor and stay in Minnesota.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Dude.... seriously if you really want to ride that area, join a club, call your local elected official, donate money or do what every to get that area open for both you and all of us. Until it's open, then please stay the heck out! Do you have any idea what volunteers do to keep our riding areas open? How much just flirting with those areas effect our sport? It's a big deal!!!!

switchassault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2010
mn
I usually don't ride on (Closed) snowmobile trails until i have thoroughly tore up the cross country skiers trails first !! While drunk and stoned!!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
The biggest threat our sport has is public land access. Many areas have already been lost to motorized access, and others have been restricted to trail only use. I expect you are just a dumb a$$ kid and don't know better. If you are just talking, SHUT UP, if you actually ride in restricted areas, WISE UP!

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
Thousands of square miles of great riding in the CD area. Why anyone feels the need to go into restricted wilderness areas is beyond me. We need to keep the access we have. The way we lose it is for riders to go into the restricted areas. Please don't give the so called "greens" any ammo. I just had a great day of fresh, deep untracked powder without going near restricted areas. And we didn't disturb any wildlife or the flora and ground under the snow. We all know that snowmobiles have very little impact on the environment. But there are folks that will use any reason possible to convince the public otherwise regardless of facts. Again, don't give them anything to twist facts against us.

Just my two cents on this...

Premium Features