• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bighorn Cabin

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
http://www.vrbo.com/344134

Anybody ever stay and ride in this area. We are looking at this particular place. I just don't know the relation to any fuel sources. The Wyoming Trail system for this area states there is fuel at both ends of the trail system. What does that mean? Do I need to travel 40 miles of trail to get fuel? If anyone is familiar with the address and it's exact location, I'd really appreciate any insight on what it's like. It feels a little remote to me. I think the cabin is perfect. Just not sure on how it'll work. Thanks.

KBP

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2013
Pipestone
I take it your cabin is at Bear Lodge? There's plenty of gas there or Elk View, and at High Country clear to the North end of trail. Never been to the south end of trail system.:second:

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
I take it your cabin is at Bear Lodge? There's plenty of gas there or Elk View, and at High Country clear to the North end of trail. Never been to the south end of trail system.:second:

No. This place looks to be way at the bottom of the Big Horn Mountains and away from Bear Lodge. That's why I was looking for feedback. The area seems somewhat sparse. I may be wrong though.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
I think you're quite a ways from the trails there...need to go west and north to get to most of the main riding area. More of a trailer trip than a ride...

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
That cabin is close to deerhaven and meadowlark lodge in the southern horns would have to look at a trail map to see if any trails are close but should be enough snow to ride from cabin at 8000 ft .

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
http://www.vrbo.com/344134

Anybody ever stay and ride in this area. We are looking at this particular place. I just don't know the relation to any fuel sources. The Wyoming Trail system for this area states there is fuel at both ends of the trail system. What does that mean? Do I need to travel 40 miles of trail to get fuel? If anyone is familiar with the address and it's exact location, I'd really appreciate any insight on what it's like. It feels a little remote to me. I think the cabin is perfect. Just not sure on how it'll work. Thanks.

Ive stayed in this area and rode snowmobiles some. My aunt and uncle have a cabin a couple of miles away from this cabin on billy creek road. Nobody usually rides in this area because the elevation isnt high enough. As far as fuel sources go, your nearest would be traveling back to buffalo, wyo. Not sure what they mean by fuel at both ends of the trail system, because there is not. The only fuel on the mountain is at meadowlark lodge, which is a long ways from this cabin probably 40 miles of trail to get here, if there is enough snow (i havent been up yet to look). It is remote, but only about 7 miles from the highway. If you are wanting to ride the good snow, you could ride from the cabin and go back up to hazelton road and then take the unmarked trail to munkers pass, then up to powder river, maybe 15 miles? I am wanting to make a trip into my aunt and uncles cabin this month, but its usually just to check on things and have a good time. If you want to look at the trail system for this area you can find it here.

http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/pdf/northern.pdf

The south end of the bighorns is all the way at the bottom. That cabin would be in the lower right hand of the map near the FS boundary. If you have any other questions let me know. $275 a night for 3 nights, yikes!

R
Nov 15, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Ive stayed in this area and rode snowmobiles some. My aunt and uncle have a cabin a couple of miles away from this cabin on billy creek road. Nobody usually rides in this area because the elevation isnt high enough. As far as fuel sources go, your nearest would be traveling back to buffalo, wyo. Not sure what they mean by fuel at both ends of the trail system, because there is not. The only fuel on the mountain is at meadowlark lodge, which is a long ways from this cabin probably 40 miles of trail to get here, if there is enough snow (i havent been up yet to look). It is remote, but only about 7 miles from the highway. If you are wanting to ride the good snow, you could ride from the cabin and go back up to hazelton road and then take the unmarked trail to munkers pass, then up to powder river, maybe 15 miles? I am wanting to make a trip into my aunt and uncles cabin this month, but its usually just to check on things and have a good time. If you want to look at the trail system for this area you can find it here.

http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/pdf/northern.pdf

The south end of the bighorns is all the way at the bottom. That cabin would be in the lower right hand of the map near the FS boundary. If you have any other questions let me know. $275 a night for 3 nights, yikes!
Thanks man. We got some more info and think we have a plan. Were able to bargain on the pricing a little to make it work. We've got a couple 55 gallon fuel barrels so that should work. A little remote but we're gonna give it a go the 19th of this month for a week.

Premium Features