• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you bring gas to the mt or just buy it there?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I was just wondering if you prefer to bring gas to the mountan and what you use to haul it up in or just buy it up at the lodges? I was just thinking of ways to save a little money and since im a farmer i have fuel barles that go in the back of the pickup. I can buy 91 cheeper here than up there. Just wanted everyones thoughts!! Thanks
I hope I am not off topic here. You mentioned fuel barrel. I think if you had an accident there would be some serious environmental concerns, being that it's not listed or approved for the purpose. :noidea:

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I don't think that you bringing your own gas is going to make anyone shut down. Most places in the Midwest that have fuel don't make a ton of money on it but usually do it so people have the range to make it to their business. If you are staying at the lodge and buying food there they will make their money off of that. However if people don't buy gas there they could end up not having it at all and then it would t be an option. Sometimes the reason for high priced gas is that they bought it when prices were high but almost anyone I have spoke to on the subject will blame the cost of delivery for high prices.

If you looked at the price of gas over the last 30 years, it is by far one of the best values for your money as far as items consumers buy. Even when it was $4.50 a gallon for 91 not so long ago.

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
I'm all for supporting these resorts and usually do with food and drinks, but you never see locals at these pumps. I ride with locals a lot and we always fill in town before heading up and carry cans on the sled to ride for the day.

TRACKS USA

Premium Member
Mar 19, 2010
Lake Lillian, Mn 56253
www.tracksusa.com
Hauling fuel

I do not usually read or say anything here but this came up on Daily Digest and caught my eye.

Those hauling a 150 plus gallon tank in the back of the truck must not have much concern for their family, friends or others that get involved--nothing but a giant Molotov Cocktail waiting to happen. It is one thing to haul local around the farm but another to haul long distance over the road. If you got into an accident with fire and burn injury or death you could not have enough insurance to ever protect yourself from an aggressive attorney--you would get cleaned out! Is it worth the few dollars you save? Never!

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ah! I'm gonna quit sledding.
Boo hoo, I shouldn't haul fuel.
Everything is usually tied down securely. No problems. We doo it all the time.
Oh!! , we shouldn't sled cause there might be an avalanche.

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
I'm all for supporting these resorts and usually do with food and drinks, but you never see locals at these pumps. I ride with locals a lot and we always fill in town before heading up and carry cans on the sled to ride for the day.

I have ridden with locals also and they usually don't eat or drink at the resorts either especially some where like the snowies they trailer to the parking lot bring food and drink ride all day and go home or to the bar in town because beer is.25'cents cheaper. Truth be told 70 perc.of locals don't care for resorts because they BRING IN us flat landers who who they hate who come in and track up there mountain not to mention dump tons of revenue into there economy. I hope the locals don't take this the wrong way most have been very friendly but it is a fact. BY THE WAY FYI WE RIDE OUT OF THE PLACE AT TEN MILE AND HE BUYS SMALLER AMOUNTS OF GAS AND REFILLS WEEKLY AND I HAVE SEEN IT FOR MYSELF

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
Was up there this weekend and had to fill up on the hill once we were too far from the trailer to get fuel for 19 gallons it was $101 you telling me it cost that much much to ship it in there? As his $5.31 at home I am paying $2.43. That is $2.88 difference. Just glad I was stopping off three slabs not feeling up all five. That's why I want to bring my own fuel to the hill. If I filled up all five slabs and three of my can that would be $331 worth of gas for one fill up there. Filled up at home and it was $151. You tell me should I be taking my own fuel and maybe make another trip this year with the savings in gas artist pan what they charge and make an ally one trip?????

Premium Features