• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11-12 and 13+ PRO RMK bogies difference

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
on 2013+ RMK Pro models I have noticed bogie wheels added to front track shock shaft to inside of skid. Are these bogie wheels eliminating outside bogies? What is better then - inside or outside bogies?

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Well I would not say they are a replacement as my 11 did not come with either and my 13 came with the shock ones. I was something new for the 13s. The side boggies you can add are for extra protection on the hard trial and hey are usually mounted towards the middle. They do not keep the sled cooler really but help your hyfaxes. If your running a lot of trails then I would would run both and scratchers as well.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Yes, they eliminate the need for the outer ones and save weight because no added mounts needed. They also allow the track to flex more at the hyfax = easier sidehill initiation (though this effect isn't noticed as much further forward on the skid). The downside is that it prevents the use of side mounted reservoir shocks for the center shock (like the Fox I use now from Chris Burandt) as they'd hit the bogies. I've done a TON of testing and one thing you need to know is that the front bogies are absolutely necessary in order to relieve some pressure at the front of the track or you will melt hyfax at speeds over 70 mph. There is no way around that fact thus the manufacturers do this. I've also found that adding bogies to the center of the skid does nothing but add dead weight - don't bother (unless you live in the Midwest with constant low snow conditions). The manufacturers know what they're doing.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - You know, thinking back, a lot of riders were saying how much easier it was to sidehill/carve a 2013 because they theorized the belt drive was making up for some gyroscopic effect of the heavier chain system. I think the bogie change had a HELLUVA lot more to do with the change in handling than the belt drive ever could!

Last edited:
S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, they eliminate the need for the outer ones and save weight because no added mounts needed. They also allow the track to flex more at the hyfax = easier sidehill initiation (though this effect isn't noticed as much further forward on the skid). The downside is that it prevents the use of side mounted reservoir shocks for the center shock (like the Fox I use now from Chris Burandt) as they'd hit the bogies. I've done a TON of testing and one thing you need to know is that the front bogies are absolutely necessary in order to relieve some pressure at the front of the track or you will melt hyfax at speeds over 70 mph. There is no way around that fact thus the manufacturers do this. I've also found that adding bogies to the center of the skid does nothing but add dead weight - don't bother (unless you live in the Midwest with constant low snow conditions). The manufacturers know what they're doing.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - You know, thinking back, a lot of riders were saying how much easier it was to sidehill/carve a 2013 because they theorized the belt drive was making up for some gyroscopic effect of the heavier chain system. I think the bogie change had a HELLUVA lot more to do with the change in handling than the belt drive ever could!

Wow! Atta answer. Thank you G Man.
I have both sleds prepared for season, but hands are still ichy :) Walking around Pro and asking myself: "what else I can make better?". This is why I came up with original question. I will check sidehilling with inner and outer style of bogies, and then might upgrade to inner style if I like it. Thanks again, and please, have a fun

Premium Features