• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Canadian Snow Checks Are Getting Burned!!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I still not sure if it is a matter of less warranty making the deal seem worse than what the op thought he was getting or if for a fact the deal is better now in the fall. In all my years of snow checking I have never seen a deal better in the fall than what I paid in the spring. Considering all costs (tax, freight, set-up and so on) out the door price.

I would really like to see a pic of the invoice to know what sled was purchased, with what options and the OTD cost and a quote what the exact same thing would cost him today OTD. So if the warranty is better today and the sled is the exact same price otd than what ever the warranty costs is for the difference in years is how much he over paid compared to now.

In this example these are all made up numbers.

So lets say you can purchase an additional 2 years of warranty bumper to bumper from a company for $800. And lets say the snowcheck price was $12000 OTD. Today lets say he can buy the exact same sled for 12000 OTD. This means he over paid by $800. I would not be happy.

But what we don't know (because I didn't see it posted) is what the sled costs today OTD. Or even what he paid for the snow check. Let say today the sled costs $13000 OTD. This would mean he got a better deal by ordering early by $200. Which if I ordered the sled I really wanted early and saved $200 in the process I would be pretty happy.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I see lots of Yanks posting on here even thought they got the 3 year warranty on their snow checks.If it was the other way around they would all be on soap box's screaming to Polaris they got ripped off.When you compare the terrain dominator which is apples to apples something aint't right.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Uh oh. Someone call the

u7aqa4ap.jpg

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
Not sure what to think on this 100% just yet.

I snow checked a 2015 RMK. I do not agree with the people saying that all of the extras that were included in the snow check program factor in to the equation. This was marketed by Polaris as "no charge extras" and as such should not be considered as a $ value to be included in this discussion. Same goes for the Golden Ticket.

To come out with this three year, b to b warranty after all of the snow checks I think is wrong and should be offered to all that Snow Checked.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Possibly the correct questions were not asked last spring by either the buyer or the dealer. If you need warranty it should be a priority to discuss this before signing on the dotted line. Always available I think.

Not keeping track or anything but I have a friend that got 3yr with his 15 Snowcheck. Got a good price too IMO. Don't know if it was included or an extra but he just had a Ski Doo and definitely wanted it so he asked.

I still wish they offered them as is were is. Hate paying for other peoples mistakes. Visa protects me for a bit eh lol.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Possibly the correct questions were not asked last spring by either the buyer or the dealer. If you need warranty it should be a priority to discuss this before signing on the dotted line. Always available I think.

Not keeping track or anything but I have a friend that got 3yr with his 15 Snowcheck. Got a good price too IMO. Don't know if it was included or an extra but he just had a Ski Doo and definitely wanted it so he asked.

I still wish they offered them as is were is. Hate paying for other peoples mistakes. Visa protects me for a bit eh lol.

I'm assuming your friend is Canadian?

I didn't check a 15 nor did I have any intention to but the way I read the fine print last year was the snowcheck incentives were limited to a monetary value and you could use it anyway you wanted to, be it all the accessories and give up some warranty or vice versa.

Your best bet in buying anything is going into the dealer knowing more than them... Which sadly isn't very hard.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I didn't check a 15 nor did I have any intention to but the way I read the fine print last year was the snowcheck incentives were limited to a monetary value and you could use it anyway you wanted to, be it all the accessories and give up some warranty or vice versa.
Agreed and had that exact discussion with my dealer. I don't know if everyone did, but I did. And I will clarify more when I pick up the sled.

If you wanted to for-go some accessories in exchange for additional warranty, I don't think there was anything prohibiting that. Agreed that it was no presented as such....but that's just likely what they felt was more enticing from a marketing standpoint. Bad move? Depends on your perspective I suppose.

I think people need to realize that with any of the snowcheck "pre-packaged" options/warranties....it is basically just a set dollar value. They might represent that value as warranty packages, bags, wraps, shocks, lifetime supply of popcorn, etc....but that's just what the marketing department feels will sell.

You just have to crunch the numbers to figure out which is a better "deal." I still feel the snowcheck has more value in it, and you can still purchase more warranty if you wish.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Not sure what to think on this 100% just yet.

I snow checked a 2015 RMK. I do not agree with the people saying that all of the extras that were included in the snow check program factor in to the equation. This was marketed by Polaris as "no charge extras" and as such should not be considered as a $ value to be included in this discussion. Same goes for the Golden Ticket.

To come out with this three year, b to b warranty after all of the snow checks I think is wrong and should be offered to all that Snow Checked.

So if I understand you correct you say that by snowchecking you can get these extras for free that the people do not get when buying later is not an advantage to snowchecking is that right? If the people buying them later wanted any of those items on their sled they would have to pay extra for them correct? Seems to me it would cost more to buy the extras than for 1 additional year of warranty.

Last edited:
T
Nov 11, 2008
Not everyone has an option of multiple dealers and they know that. Sure big market Companies can give away extras, but it still isn't the offer from Polaris. Smaller market dealer can't afford to give things away.

It wasn't the dealer giving all of the snowcheck items away, it was the manufacturer. Aside from the dealer specific items, like coats and avy training and so on. The 2015 snowcheck in Canada had the same offers from Polaris regardless of dealership. Looking back at the promo these items were available to everyone.

1-Free color choice upgrades "rails/tunnel/shocks springs/a-arms etc"
2-Free Shock upgrade to piggy back reservoir "$500 value"
3-Free Electric Start option "$500 value"
4-Choice of up to 3 storage bags "$400 value"
5-$800 accessory credit or $600 cash discount off price of sled which includes a 2nd year power train warranty (2 years total) OR extra 2 year power train warranty (3 years total)
6-$1000 Golden ticket to be used on your next RMK purchase within the next 2 model years (2016/2017)

$3000 of add on's. How ever you look at it, the snowcheck was the better deal. If those things weren't important to you and warranty is more important as a buyer I would have inquired what the cost would be to upgrade my warranty.

Polaris did great. They offered many items which gave the customer a unique snowcheck that people who are Doo loyal have been asking for the past several years.

It also appears it did its job as people saw all that bling and said I have to have it, without considering what is most important to them.

You are in the East Kootenay's so I would guess Mainjet might be one of your closest dealers. I find it hard to believe they can't aid you in your search for another year warranty at whatever cost it may be.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Lunch is never really free. Neither is 'warranty'.

Last time I checked, changing prices is still allowed in a democracy, unless it's racially biased. At least for now. And that's all this really is - changing prices.

If you have a business or ownership mentality, you know exactly what I mean. If you don't, it will never make sense to you. Just the way life is.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I was never offered to 3 year option on my 15 snow check. But I will be asking about it when I pick up my sled and if it's reasonable I will purchase the extra warranty. I had no intention of buying a 15 but my 14 was such a lemon I had to bail on it.As it was it cost me $2750 otd to switch that's from a 163 pro Le e's to a RMK 163.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
I was quite happy when I saw the promotion on the 15's at snow check, probably the best deal (RMK LE's specifically) I have ever seen on a new sled! Too good to be true I though, so I could'nt pass it up!
Now in September, reality and a great marketing strategy come to light. In my eyes the $3500 in added value was reduced to roughly $2500 with the 15 stock sleds getting the 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty. This due to a reduced trade in value for our snowchecked sleds....(For me, in 2017 the same "non snowchecked" 15 will have a full year of warranty left.... essentially reducing the value of my sled by 1K.)

Sure I'm a bit dissapointed, but I still think the Snowcheck sleds are a good deal, just not as great as they were.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Think of it this way - if you purchase some extended warranty for your snowc'd sled - you will have the best of both worlds.

And you will have spent less money than taking a stock model and adding all the shocks/bags/e-start/whatever else was included.

So it is a better deal. OP and a couple others are on a bit of a crusade here, but I think it's misguided.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
that would suck if a floor model sled spanks a snowcheck sled on the hills and has a better warranty.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Young cocky american on a Canadian thread you must be bored now why not F off somewhere else like a doo forum.When you have something positive too add come back.

Only thing positive coming from this tread is the satisfaction of knowing a old Canadian d bag like yourself got screwed on his snowcheck.

Premium Features