• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurt's Polaris Gear Down Kit?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Found on their site (it was down yesterday)... yes it uses a different belt- Gates (which most of you knew i'm assuming), it runs $99. The full kit is $495.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Found on their site (it was down yesterday)... yes it uses a different belt- Gates (which most of you knew i'm assuming), it runs $99. The full kit is $495.

Kurts is an 8mm pitch Gates Poly Carbon Belt.
Polaris uses a 11mm pitch Gates belt the details of which I imagine are proprietary. The Polaris, belt being 11mm, should be stronger than the 8mm but is also much stiffer which could be part a cause of the problems in 2013.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
I switched to Kurt's Kit on my 13 Pro and it made a really big difference. Throttle response feels much more crisp, and I am no longer blowing belts. Before I put the kit on, my belts were lasting about 150 miles.

Just to put it in context, I'm not a meadow skipper or a chutes guy... I usually spend about 75% of my day in the trees trying to turn my black side panels brown and coated in tree sap :face-icon-small-ton

One thing I think everyone should know is that you need to break in the belt (pretty sure almost everyone already knows this). If you hammer on it starting at mile 0, you may run into premature wear. Also, after the second ride, I noticed a lot of tiny blue bits coming from the belt, which I was told was normal. Looked a little strange, but I've put a solid 300 - 400 miles on the kit with no issues.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Curtis told me that he is going with a new belt vendor for the 2014-15 season for his gear down kits.

Last edited:

Allterrain

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2010
Can the computer be recalibrated using digital wrench so that the speedo is accurate after gearing down. With the pickup on the brake caliper I would think it would put the speedo out a fair bit.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Can the computer be recalibrated using digital wrench so that the speedo is accurate after gearing down. With the pickup on the brake caliper I would think it would put the speedo out a fair bit.

I have never seen an answer to this question. Someone has to be in the know.

If the DW can not recalibrate for a gear change does anyone make a box to connect inline to change the pulse count so that it is accurate for gear ratio changes, driver changes, etc? Even the driveshaft mounted pick up is off when you change drivers.

Not that they have ever actually been accurate, the old mechanical speedos read about 10% high. If you changed from the the stock 9tooth 2.52" pitch to a 10tooth 2.52" pitch driver it would read actual speed.

While it is nice to have accurate instrumentation it is usable as is to identify and quantify performance changes. You just have to remember your yard sticks units are unique to that sled and do not matchup to anybody else's units.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You just have to remember your yard sticks units are unique to that sled and do not matchup to anybody else's units.

Amen. never seems like the speedo is that accurate between even similar model sleds, just keep track of yours and how your mods affect things.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

If the DW can not recalibrate for a gear change does anyone make a box to connect inline to change the pulse count so that it is accurate for gear ratio changes, driver changes, etc? Even the driveshaft mounted pick up is off when you change drivers.

Not that they have ever actually been accurate, the old mechanical speedos read about 10% high. If you changed from the the stock 9tooth 2.52" pitch to a 10tooth 2.52" pitch driver it would read actual speed.

While it is nice to have accurate instrumentation it is usable as is to identify and quantify performance changes. You just have to remember your yard sticks units are unique to that sled and do not matchup to anybody else's units.

So I haven't tried this yet but the speedo pick-up counts the holes in the brake disk. If a guy was to fill one of the 8 or so holes, it would change the speedo by 12.5% Now to do this may take threading the hole and screwing in a slug that must stay in place or risk damage or locking of the brake. It is also possible to build a circuit that counts 8 pulses and puts out 6 or 7 but who wants to pay the $200 that it would have to sell for

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

There's this unit, The SpeedoHealer. Don't know if even one of the "special models" would work on a sled. If you know how the speedo sensor works on a sled, give them a call.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
There's this unit, The SpeedoHealer. Don't know if even one of the "special models" would work on a sled. If you know how the speedo sensor works on a sled, give them a call.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

I'll look into that, Thanks!

The size, weight, and price are reasonable enough. I'm assuming the sled sensor is just a hall effect pickup so from what i just read it should do the trick.

Although I would still hope the stock unit can just be re-calabrated.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'll look into that, Thanks!

The size, weight, and price are reasonable enough. I'm assuming the sled sensor is just a hall effect pickup so from what i just read it should do the trick.

Although I would still hope the stock unit can just be re-calabrated.

A hall effect transistor works from passing a magnet past it to turn it on and off. There is no magnet in the brake disc. It has holes so the sensor will likely be a coil or some other proximity type sensor. We would have to do some testing to be sure.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Was told by Kurts that the digital wrench cannot change gearing.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID

FYI, the speedo sensor reads off of the driveshaft. It's in the cap that covers the bearing right underneath the secondary clutch.

I was remembering wrong, it is where Loudhandle says it is, sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
FYI, the speedo sensor reads off of the driveshaft. It's in the cap that covers the bearing right underneath the secondary clutch.

That is only true on the chain case models. Since the thread is about Kurt's gear down kit, it is specific to the QD belt driven sleds, which get the signal from the same sensor mounted to read the holes in the brake disk, which is still on the Jackshaft.

As far as my inquiry into the speedo-healer; I have a rely from them and need to verify a few things before they will confirm functionality. Anyone know what the connector plug make and model is? I have a list of resistance values and voltages to verify. I'll pass on what they say when I get the response.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
UPDATE: On the speedo healer from Healtech

Here is the E-mail I received after testing the sensors and other variables for the Healtech tech. As both the 2411353 sensor and the 2410376 (the difference being the wires are about 1 1/2" shorter on the 2410376). While the 2410376 was used on the Dragons and IQ's they are functionally identical and the Healtech SH-V4 speedo healer will work for either one. For a plug and play option, someone has to know what these connectors are? That way you would have no splicing of the factory wiring.

"I can confirm the SpeedoHealer standard model will work great.
We do not have this type of connector, so you need our Universal kit, part no: SH-V4 + SH-U01"

Update- I have identified the Polaris connectors and passed the information on to HealTech, they will be building Plug and play kits and should be ready prior to winter.

www.healtech-electronics.com

Last edited:

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
The latest issue of Snowest says that Kurt's Polaris has "two new gear down Kits". Does anyone know what else is being offered?

S

sledhead004

Jan 20, 2008
Craig,Co
Has anyone tried the gearing kit with Carls clutching. I'm running Carls now and I am ordering the gearing kit. Ride 7-10,000 ft.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
If you do kurts gear Down I would do there clutching it's a custom helix and both springs and it's spot on. Rode a demo last year that's what I am doing

Premium Features