• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS.....more things to check on your new Pro....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As a side note...This is something that should be reserved for experienced mechanics with the knowledge to use tools and understand concepts.

If you do not have these "skills" I recommend that you do not mess with these settings.
You will more than likely cause problems rather than improve some aspect of performance.

Most owners of these sleds, say 99% of owners, will never have to touch this adjustment nor have their dealer do it for them.

I've recently set this for a friend on his sled ... but that was because his TPS failed from accidental damage and was replaced.

Don't even worry about it unless your sled runs poorly.... you could void your warranty by messing with this if YOU cause a problem from a mistake on your part.

You can use the same tool from the Dragons... Confirm that you are putting out 5.00volts +/-.01v

Base voltage should be .690-.710. Make sure you have the throttle cable disconnected as well as the idle set screw backed off.

THEN...After that...
Set your idle voltage to .93-.95 VDC

Last edited:

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I was thinking of using a variable potentiometer instead of a 5v reg since they are not that accurate . I asked the Radio shack guy about it and he asked what value it would be anyone have any ideas what he is talking about ?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I get a stumble on my 2012 ProRMK 155 every once in a while. The sled will just bog out a certain RPM when giving it throttle. Ususally around 7600 but have seen it in the 6000 area as well. It sure acts like the TPS is cutting it out. And it usually only happens for a second or 2 and then takes back off but makes it feel like your going over the bars. What is really weird is it might only happend for 10 minutes or so on a 3 day weekend ride. So only notice one day for about 10 minutes of acting up. What is up with that?

So far the dealer has done several things to remedy the problem but It has not gone away.

Checked TPS setting and adjusted
Cleaned TPS connector and installed dielectric grease.
New plug caps or wires
New injectors.

In my opinion it has only gotten slightly better but will still notice it once in a whille on a given day.

The same thing happened when I was near west yellowstone so I took it to that dealer as well. They could not find anything and just cleared the faults. Ran good the rest of that trip.

Any thoughts?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The same thing happened when I was near west yellowstone so I took it to that dealer as well. They could not find anything and just cleared the faults. Ran good the rest of that trip.

What where the faluts they cleared?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I believe the historical data said cylinder misfire.

I'm bringing mine back to the dealer to have them reset and check it 3 times to make sure the voltage doesn't change.

Has anyone heard a Polaris that can't maintian the voltage. In other words you set it per spec and then once in a while the voltage swings out of spec. Seems like there is a reason my problem is so intermitent. Also what component does the tps voltage. Is the the ECU, or AC/DC convertor? Just wondering if I had a faulty component from day one.

F
Jan 2, 2009
N. 208
great information!

I just went and built one of those tools just to check my 12 pro and it worked great. followed the instructions and now my sled starts with one pull and idles steadily. still only have .5 miles on it but it is even more ready than before. Thanks a lot.:face-icon-small-hap

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
what i find is dumb is that everything is in volts, why isnt there a resistance measurement? That way all you need is a multi meter instead of making a tool an wasting alot of time. also how picky is it? i got 5.20v. out of my tool. says idle is at .98v

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
The adjustment isn't a resistance measurement because the measurement won't be consistant one TPS to the next (normal manufacturing tolerances) and from an operation standpoint, that doesn't even matter. Because of how the TPS is used in the circuit, the resistance measurement of a TPS could be 4500 ohms or 5500 ohms (examples, not actual measurements), but if you connect the 5V supply across the terminals and move the TPS to half-scale, you'll get 2.5V output in either case. If you look at the resistance measurement, half-scale of one would be 2250 ohms and the other would be 2750 ohms. Imagine how far your setting would be off if you tried to adjust one to match the other by checking resistance. In the case where the voltage of the testing tool is a bit high or low, measurements can still be made, but they can't be compared directly to the service manual specs. The TPS voltage gives a measurement of "percentage" of the total voltage across the TPS for any particular throttle setting. If the theoretical voltage is 5.0V and the setting should be .93V, that is (.93/5.0) = .186 or 18.6%. If the actual voltage is 5.2V and the measurement is .98V, that is (.98/5.2) = .188 or 18.8%. If measurements are done in this way, it doesn't really matter what voltage you put across the TPS for testing, you can still get an accurate setting. One poster above used a variation on this method, should get acceptable results either way.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Well i had a reference of 5.2v so i just did some simple math and 5/5.2 100/ = 104% so i just multiplied the values by that and got
Base .74
idle .98
I adjusted to said specs and took it for a rip and it seemed like it was working better, hard to tell if it wont bog or act up anymore since its hard to ride it hard now.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Why use the 5v tool when you can hook up a 12v battery and back probe the tps and set it with you meter. Now you do not have to worry about the tool being off .
That's how I did my pro but I had to use the tool on the dragons .

X
Dec 10, 2009
I built a tester a while ago using the radio shack parts and was pretty successfull. I did have to fight to get the gator clamps to stay on the TPS connections. It was a PIA. I managed to find what I believe to be the proper plug. I'm just wating for it to arrive to I can try it out. Should make my life a lot easier for those intersted.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/ts-090.html

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
So if the tps is not set right, would it cause my sled to not reach peak rpm? toward the end of last season my peak rpms were down to about 7900-8000 on average. New belt did not help, new clutch springs did not help, and currently running 66 gram weights to stay around 8000 rpm, at 1200 feet.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
So if the tps is not set right, would it cause my sled to not reach peak rpm? toward the end of last season my peak rpms were down to about 7900-8000 on average. New belt did not help, new clutch springs did not help, and currently running 66 gram weights to stay around 8000 rpm, at 1200 feet.

Sounds like time for a new top end.

Q
Jan 10, 2014
So trying to test my supply voltage since I have a check engine light/code of 3509 saying low voltage of tps/tmap sensor
on my 2014 im going from the connector under the hood that goes down to the tps behind clutch red/white wire to ground (frame ground by exhaust) and I'm only getting 1-1.5vDC on my fluke meter.

Any ideas before this goes into the dealer?
tmap sensor under hood connection I also probed all wires to ground and would only get 1vdc

Premium Features