• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To the real mechanics out there

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i knew id take a little flak for that, but the OP asked what REAL mechanics use, and while i agree impact is not the best for assembly, it in my opinion is the best for most disassembly. And I, being an ASE master certified auto tech, used my impacts alot. Now that i work on military aircraft every day in the AF, I use alot more speed-handles, i dont need to be responsible for a multi-million dollar aircraft having an issue.

So tools that i would recomend to a "shade-tree" mechanic.
basic sockets, deep/shallow
a GOOD led flashlight
extendable magnet
various length extensions, 3/8 and 1/4 drive
magnetic trays for bolts
universals (i have a bunch of individual snap on impact univerals that are nice, but basic 1/4 or 3/8 universals work)

my biggest tip is to keep your bolts organized and your tools organized. its always irritating when you cant find what you are looking for.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Cordless impacts get better every year. I use them all day long at work (Real mechanic...18yrs ASE master certified). They keep getting lighter, stronger, smaller and the battery life gets better all the time. The only thing the air hose gets used for is blowing parts clean. Get some nice quality impact swivel sockets (snap-on) in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 drive and these things make life easy.

I don't have any hole saws for drilling through parts to gain access to nuts and bolts, You will have to ask loudhandle what works best for that. Eric

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Ratcheting wrenches and battery powered ratchet 1/4 or 3/8, impact swivels, and locking extensions.. Hate dropping my sockets! I Like loud handle's idea also!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
completely forgot about ratchet wrench, i love mine, they only go in one direction and have a swivel type head. i like them because you dont accidentally hit the switch and go in the other direction. mine are cornwell but im sure craftsman makes them too

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I dont understand why you would want to drill holes in your undercarriage, when the motor mount bolts come out so easy. The engine mounts seem to wear prematurely, and I like to inspect them. I have found the easiest way to remove my motor is to remove the oversturcture first. Then everything else is easy to get at. Easier to lift it out too, and you can leave all the throttle body and y pipe on too. Not that it is the fastest, but it makes the job easier IMO.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i can't remember the size of allens you need for the motor mount bolts however i purchased a new one ( i prefer carlyle tools) and cut it shorter for some reason. I had a string of bad luck with recoils last year and then motor mount failures. Engine can easily be out in an hour with hand tools and having an intercooled bd turbo. pull seat, gas tank, secondary, hood pipe can unplug everything bing bang boom. ratchet wrenchs, swivels, etc. it never hurts to make a list of bolt sizes on your sled and desired torque. For the most part torque is set to bolt dimensions and i am often surprised by how tight/loose things are designed to be.

rrjames

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2012
Missoula, MT
yeah I posted this thinking you were a different flat lander...wrong number. Lol fail of the week.

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Ive pulled my motor way more then ive wanted to.
I wouldn't bother with trying to drill holes in the bottom. Its not hard to get an allen socket in on the 4 motor mounts on the sides. Pull front over structure only. Leave rear in place. Other then that use said advice from previous comments. Bet I can pull my motor in 30min.

Premium Features