• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reinstalling M8 rear skid, help needed

M
Oct 20, 2009
So I removed the rear skid on my 2007 M8 to do a track swap. I got the track in, diamond drive, brakes and the 2 front bolts for the skid all bolted up. Now I'm having trouble getting the rear 2 bolt holes to line up with the brackets on the tunnel . I need the mounting point on the suspension to go ahead about 1/2 to 3/4" but am scratching my head a little here because I thought they would just line up....

Anyone else run into this problem? Any hints?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
They don't line up. You need to compress the rear skid slightly to get them lined up. Put a ratchet strap around the front and rear arm of the suspension, and use it to compress the suspension until the bolt hole lines up. You will have to do it one side at a time.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Put a cover down and lay it on the side, much easier to install that way....especially on a 1 man job.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Colorado
let air out of rear shock if you have an air shock

If you have someone that can help you push it into place or move the tunnel up or down it would help a lot. If not, as someone else already said use a strap and slowly ratchet it until the holes line up. Or what I have found works really good is use a shock pump to let the air out of the rear shock so you know what you had it set at if you have an air shock, that way you can move the suspension with your hands easily and then pump it back up after you are finished installing the bolts.

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
If you have someone that can help you push it into place or move the tunnel up or down it would help a lot. If not, as someone else already said use a strap and slowly ratchet it until the holes line up. Or what I have found works really good is use a shock pump to let the air out of the rear shock so you know what you had it set at if you have an air shock, that way you can move the suspension with your hands easily and then pump it back up after you are finished installing the bolts.

Cat didn't have the floats in the rear skid till 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... My iPhone can climb higher than yours! :p

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Skid

Set the brake and use bar against mounting shaft and through a clipped track window to pull or push till hole lines up

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
This is 1000Times easier that ratchet straps:

Float skid - Let all the air out of the rear air shock. Skid arms will move freely. Bolt it up and add air. Done.

Cam arm spring skid - Remove the slide blocks and let the cam springs hang freely (they are under some load but easily managable by yourself). With the spring load off, the rear skid arms move freely. Bolt the skid in. Takes a little muscle or a buddy; put the slide block onto the spring, and pull the spring/ block into position and rebolt on the Slide block.

Done.

I find it difficult to get everything to line up with ratchet straps and I usually run out of room or interference with something. Only takes about 5 mins to RE and RE the cam springs.

Premium Features