• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running a turbo at sea level

H

hook

Nov 28, 2007
Ocheyedan, Iowa
I am thinking about getting a turbo for my pro rmk. I live in Iowa so I was wondering if I can run a turbo at home as well as at elevation. I think our elevation is around 1500 feet. If so, how or what kit am I going to need to do this.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Boost is good at any elevation. Here in Alaska we are regularly below 1500 feet. What you need to be aware of is that every 2500 feet you loose about 1 psi of atmosphere. So you can run 1 psi more boost to get the same horsepower and the engine doesn't know the difference. So for example if guys are running 8psi boost at 5k feet, at 1500 you should be running 6-7.

One other thing to take note of is that engine temp will make a engine detonate easier. So if you're running in low snow conditions you could detonate at a boost level that's safe when in snow. Error on the safe side of boost levels and run good fuel in all riding conditions.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
My m8T runs great at 900ft here in ND. Talk to Silber turbos they are in MN and do mainly Polaris.

H

hook

Nov 28, 2007
Ocheyedan, Iowa
I had talked to someone and was told that with a boondocker kit, I could set up the sled at my elevation and then head to the mountains and wouldn't have to touch a thing if I had the ebc. Is this true? If so, that would be great for me so I don't have to spend a lot of my first trip tuning. Thanks for the help so far.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
there is a thread about 2 months ago on this topic , If I had the money Sliber was what I would do. with the 2014 bullydog control and the slightly looser 63 size turbo that hits softer but puts less heat into the charge air.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
there is a thread about 2 months ago on this topic , If I had the money Sliber was what I would do. with the 2014 bullydog control and the slightly looser 63 size turbo that hits softer but puts less heat into the charge air.

This is the setup I am running this year on my 14' pro. 14' Silber kit with the bullydog and the KPA 63 billet wheel and at sea level. I hope it runs as good as advertised. Planning on running 10-12 psi on avgas. I will let ya know how it runs when I get it.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I have the '12 Silber Kit on a '11 Pro. I run 5-6psi at 1000ft elevation on 100LL gas.
I could probably get away running less octane, but for me it's just easier and hardly more expensive to just run straight 100LL all the time.

Premium Features