• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbos 2015 External Wastegate Kits

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have ran both set up, external and internal. The internal is more of an explosive boost and the external has a softer slower more stock like feeling with large top end. Most people who ride in the deep snow like the slower boost hit over the booooom. In the trees the boom is harder to handle as well. Now a external can be plumbed so it hits hard like a internal. I have spent time on the the phone with tial tech understanding why my sled is not explosive.. I also learned a few things from a CAR guys too. Plumbing the gate as I did (top and bottom) with a ball and seat type controller makes the sled feel smooth. When you put a restrictor pill or bushing in line before the controller (vent to atmosphere gate valve), it holds the wastegate shut longer creating the explosion. Now the smaller the spring in the gate the sooner the boost will overcome the spring and feel smooth. Now a electronic boost controller shuts off the line to the gate forcing the gate to rely on the psi of the spring. Now some guys want to be able to turn down their sled to 5 lbs to run pump gas in the event they run out of good gas and need to get out of the mountains... borrow gas from a stocker.. The beauty in this is its possible as their are 25 different psi springs for the external gate.. There is a lot more to the external plumbing than a internal.. pm me if you need help..

Jim
SO many good points in this.

Also, a programmable boost controller combo'd with an external gate gives a guy such an impressive range of power delivery and boost levels at the push of a button.

Got to test The protoype external gate from justin last spring. went right from 7# of boost on the internal gate to 7# on the external. First thing I noticed is due to that smoother hit is in the trees when chopping the throttle is that it would no longer boost spike and randomly hit the rev limiter when on and off the throttle fast. Huge plus. Also, I found that because it came on smoother I was able to ride with less effort as the sled was less all or nothing. Much more stock like feel and easier to control. Still VERY fast on the top but that smooth transition made it much more pleaseant to ride and less trenching/stucks when taking off in tight spots with low ground speed.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Great new offering from Silber
I know this is getting off topic.
The modified turbo smart boost tee will soften the spike.
Moving the boost signal line from the compressor housing to the "airbox" also softens the spike and improves boost control. The signal line pickup design added to the airbox should protrude 1" inside and have two sets of small holes drilled at 90* along its shaft intersecting the center passage. This should be placed on the throttle body side of an intercooler also.

image.jpg

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Moving the boost signal line from the compressor housing to the "airbox" also softens the spike and improves boost control. The signal line pickup design added to the airbox should protrude 1" inside and have two sets of small holes drilled at 90* along its shaft intersecting the center passage. This should be placed on the throttle body side of an intercooler also.

Do you have any pictures of this air box pick up!

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING

i ran all last year with the internal gate and no boost controller. it was giving me fits so i just plumbed the line from the compressor housing directly to the wastegate. so correct me if im wrong here. i can see what you are saying about the boost spike. so would adding the modified turbo smart boost controller make it similiar to the feel of an external gate?

im still debating the external gate. i think the price is going to be pretty high to upgrade from my 14 kit with minimal improvement. (still trying to understand the difference) will most likely throw a self lube center section on and ride.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Boston do you run cooling lines to the wastegate ?

Thats not necessary except in very extreme cases where the WGs get so hot they lose consistency, like a very high hp road race car or something. It'll just add weight on a sled with no benefits.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
i ran all last year with the internal gate and no boost controller. it was giving me fits so i just plumbed the line from the compressor housing directly to the wastegate. so correct me if im wrong here. i can see what you are saying about the boost spike. so would adding the modified turbo smart boost controller make it similiar to the feel of an external gate?

im still debating the external gate. i think the price is going to be pretty high to upgrade from my 14 kit with minimal improvement. (still trying to understand the difference) will most likely throw a self lube center section on and ride.

There are some design issues with an internal wastegate that are definitely addressed with an external gate. I will address two here, not in-depth, one is creep the other is disrupted exhaust flow.
By nature of the internal waste gate there is not much you can do about the disruption/turbulent exhaust flow. You can change/smooth the exhaust flow through the use of different designed flanges and plumbing. Vented wastegate gasses that are vented down stream from the turbines primary exhaust gas is very beneficial on a two stroke(external wastegate). A smooth transitional exhaust flow on an internal wastegated snowmobile is compromised by a cramped working area. An external wastegate and Tial turbine housing has a smooth undisturbed exhaust flow eliminating back pressure. Good for a two stroke.
Creep of your internal wastegate comes from a few areas. Wear of the "flapper", no preload, heatsoak. Using only the actuator spring for boost control, allows creep and poor boost control. I find that adding two to three turns of preload to the adjustment arm from neutral very beneficial. This adjustment will stop creep, but You will need to add a boost controller. I prefer the modified TurboSmart boost tee if you are not using an EBC. Consistent boost control must be addressed first, then you can fuel and clutch that is more consistent. You won't be banging on the fuel controller all day.
The new offering from Justin, will eliminate many of the associated internal wastegate problems.

Premium Features