• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Boondocker Oiling System Info ?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah I think they are using stock oil pump and pumping the two stroke oil through the turbo then in the motor.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
I think total saving of 4lbs plus or minus an oz. Although it you run their new water to air intercooler, its adds the weight back on. Either way a very cool offset.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Did they make there W/A intercooler different this year Eric or it the same as last years?

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Not sure on patents, but I'm pretty sure they weren't the first to ever do this on a 2 stroke anyway, maybe the first to do it large scale but I'm pretty sure it's been done.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Not to try and stir up a hornets nest but wasn't MTNTK in the patent process of this oiling method?

Or did that fall through?

Mtntk runs it through the turbo then injects it back in the intake of the turbo to optimize the oil or something IIRC

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Not sure on patents, but I'm pretty sure they weren't the first to ever do this on a 2 stroke anyway, maybe the first to do it large scale but I'm pretty sure it's been done.

Yeah I knew that. First doesn't always mean anything in the world of patents though. There's a head out there, oh nevermind.

That's probably the correct explanation Iceman.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
My one concern with running the oil as MTNTK and Boondocks are doing is if running a water to air intercooler, the oil will coat the inside of the intercooler and reduce the efficiency of the system. The oil would also tend to attract particulates?? Reeds can look pretty dirty so I assume the intercooler would do the same (dirty) with oil injected into compressor inlet.

Just thinking out loud.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
My one concern with running the oil as MTNTK and Boondocks are doing is if running a water to air intercooler, the oil will coat the inside of the intercooler and reduce the efficiency of the system. The oil would also tend to attract particulates?? Reeds can look pretty dirty so I assume the intercooler would do the same (dirty) with oil injected into compressor inlet.

Just thinking out loud.

Would,nt this be true with any oil lubricated turbo if the seals were leaking?

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Mtntk runs it through the turbo then injects it back in the intake of the turbo to optimize the oil or something IIRC

That doesn't optimize oiling, and would cause puddling of oil and wear out the compressor inlet.

Just thinking out loud.

Preintercooler injection of any fluid doesn't work (and can be very dangerous) as fluid won't stay atomized through the intercooler and will cause puddling and coat the intercooler/compressor/charge pipe in oil.

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Would,nt this be true with any oil lubricated turbo if the seals were leaking?

Yep. If the seals are leaking this would be the same. But they inject Oil all the time compared to seals leaking. If turbo is in good condition the seals leak very little if any.

But gunnerthesnowman you are correct.

Inspector01 comment I agree. That's why I have my reservations about MTNTK or anyone using the stock oil pump and putting the oil from the turbo bearings into the intake of the compressor when using an intercooler.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd

Just thinking out loud.

on the duramax the crank vent goes to the turbo mouthpiece and many have had their intercoolers plug and blow the boots off the hotside from the restriction. i dont like the idea on a sled or my truck. i ran my vent down to the frame rail. i think the reeds benefit from being lubed but there is a kit for that also

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
That doesn't optimize oiling, and would cause puddling of oil and wear out the compressor inlet.

I'm not saying it does anything just trying to remember how there system works.

Guys pretty sure BD's kit does not inject it in the inlet it just runs through the bearings of the turbo

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Spoke with BD a while back about this , 2 different times , 2 different people , 2 different answers.

First guy said the oil just get pumped to the turbo and "burns off" on the bearings. Not draining back to the motor , nor getting injected in the air intake.

Second guy said oil gets pumped to the turbo then drains out the bottom of the turbo and fed back into the motor.

Either way neither said it was getting injected to the air intake.

So will see shortly once the kits ship , BD said they will have update kits available once they ship out there kits.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Spoke with BD a while back about this , 2 different times , 2 different people , 2 different answers.

First guy said the oil just get pumped to the turbo and "burns off" on the bearings. Not draining back to the motor , nor getting injected in the air intake.

Second guy said oil gets pumped to the turbo then drains out the bottom of the turbo and fed back into the motor.

Either way neither said it was getting injected to the air intake.

So will see shortly once the kits ship , BD said they will have update kits available once they ship out there kits.

Makes the most sense to have it run through the turbo, drain Into a oil tank then to the motor. Then you would just use the turbo oil tank as your injection oil tank and fill as needed.
Would eliminate any vent issues with the stock tank. But the turbo oil tanks I've seen aren't big. So would have to fill it every ride prolly.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Makes the most sense to have it run through the turbo, drain Into a oil tank then to the motor. Then you would just use the turbo oil tank as your injection oil tank and fill as needed.
Would eliminate any vent issues with the stock tank. But the turbo oil tanks I've seen aren't big. So would have to fill it every ride prolly.

From a cost and simplicity stand point it make sense to use what it already there (OEM tank).

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
From a cost and simplicity stand point it make sense to use what it already there (OEM tank).

Yes.

So does the turbo pedestal have a fitting for a oil line on it?

I've never checked to see if the oil system in the turbo is free flowing or does it have some restriction?

Would a filter be a good idea after it leaves the turbo?

My friend just got his new boony kit this week. He's installing it this weekend. I'll take a look and some pics tomorrow and post back here with what I find.

Going on a 2014 assault 155.

Premium Features