• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cracked Gas Tank?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I believe 3m has a two part product sold in auto-body shops, and uses a special applicator to apply. You can get some spare tips and use the product for up to a year, using a new tip each time. I don't recall the name but they probably have a suggestion at the store. I believe it is about $50 for the applicator and another $40-50 for the product.

It's not specifically for plastic gas tanks, but my buddy used it on his plastic oil tank and it worked great.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I've used shoe goo in the past and it has worked well. I've repaired holes in gas cans and my oil tank and a couple years later it is still working on all of them.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have used tanks that are missing the gauge that I would sell you for $40.00 plus the freight if that helps.

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
I tried different silicons and seal all products with minimal luck. The best product I found was JB Weld Waterweld. Its a 2 piece tube of putty, that you rub together and apply. Its gas resistant and worked well on my 08 crossfire. Only problem is that it is white, but once it dried, I put a light layer of black silicon over it and never had a problem again.

A guy should contact the dealer and see if they will replace it though for a permanent solution.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Mine did that also, I cleaned it good, pull up on the opening, while holding it up forced black silicone it the split and let it go.smooth up the outside to make it look good.
Did this as a temporary fix two seasons ago, have a new tank but didn't need to put it on.

Tar

M
Feb 5, 2009
I used a soldering gun to melt it together and then a 3m two part epoxy and it sealed it right up. I also talked to one dealer and was going to charge me for a new tank. I asked another dealer and stated that was a safety issue and charged nothing for the new tank. Check around as some dealers are different.

T
Sep 22, 2010
Mine did the same thing, cracked around the fill neck. Its a common issue since about 2000-2011. Take it to the dealer and they will get you a new tank free of charge as long as it wasn't damaged from some kind of impact.

C
Feb 28, 2011
dealership..

Every dealership should cover these tanks and labor, I replaced more than a handful last season and expect more in the future. Not to mention that we have 4 of em to replace in my family..

Premium Features