• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'11 SnoPro - 1st Sled, Help with Setup

B
Jan 24, 2011
Kamloops, BC
I recently purchased my first sled, an '11 M8 153 SnoPro.

As it sits it has just under 3200kms (2000 miles). It is pretty much stock other than the running boards:

vented side panels, aftermarket can and a BDX anti-stab kit.

I have a few questions as far as setting the sled up for off trail mountain riding.

I lowered my front shock pressures from 75psi each side down to 65psi clutch side/60 psi. I changed the rear shock from +150psi down to 140psi. At 175lbs before gear I found the sled was still pretty good on the trail in and seemed to to turn better in the deep snow with the lower pressures. (Note that the pressures were adjusted with no weight on the shocks.)

Are my limiter straps in the correct position?

And what is the correct procedure for adjusting the skid's front shock? The manual is a little vague. From what I can gather the track should be off the ground, then loosen the shock collars until the spring is just loose, then tighten the collars to achieve 1/8-1/4" preload on the spring. Correct?

Are there any other setup tips applicable to a stock sled? The ski's are currently in the inboard position.

What about from a reliability stand point? The sled has newer reeds and new iridium spark plugs. The diamond drive was gone through last summer. I will be ordering a wildchild steering post and bulkhead brace as I have broke the stock telescoping post once already.

Thanks.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Nice sleds, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the basic setup. If you have it clutched for your elevation you are set to go...you will love it.

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
You could do the geo mod on the rear skid search it on here it seems to work pretty good

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
more slack equals less pressure more ski lift, tighter puts more pressure on the front end and that depends on what you like.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've always liked the limiters let out all the way on the M-series sleds. It looks like that is where yours is set. Set the front track shock so it has 4-5 threads below the pre-load rings and start there. I like mine with about 1" of threads showing, but I'm about 100lbs heavier than you.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
uploadfromtaptalk1423713736718.jpegabsolutely a must have. Forget about other manufacturers, none offer enough support.

Last edited:
J

James42005

Jul 26, 2011
Waterloo, IA
Agreed. Run limiter straps all the way out. I would also recommend the skiis in the narrow position. Keep a close eye on that DD. The fox floats do require some yearly maintenance, @ 2000m you are getting close to needing a full rebuild if they haven't already. From my experience the weakest point on this sled is the clutching. As with any sled keep them clean! The primary is pretty much un-rebuildable so do some forum research in advance! I love the m-series sled. Still competes with any new sled IMO!

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
nice sled

congratulations on your new sled. got one just about like. things that I did that I felt I got the bang for my money were
shocks rebuilt to my weight
aftermarket skies. stock skies are junk, a lot of different brands out there to pick from. check out the forum and make up your own mind. I use simmons because I ride a lot in the black hills. more trails there and less deep powder. in the mts. they do not work as well because they struggle to turn.no ski works good everywhere. pick where it is the most important to you.
2.60 power claw track. this track will take you places you have no business being there. make no mistake about it. people die there. you will be way past your ability and knowledge.
mds clutching. a really sharp guy who has forgot more about sleds than most of us will ever know.
the number 1 thing you can do is ride the sled a lot. experience only comes from mistakes. there is a old quote that I remember from years ago. if I remember right it came from a general in the civil war. GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROMS EXPERIENCE. EXPERIENCE COMES FROMS BAD JUDMENT. I CAN TELL YOU THAT IS IS CORRECT.find some friends to show you how to ride the sled. not even burdant rode like he does today without some help along the way

Premium Features