• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone running a BD Adjustable kit W/O timing key?

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Just curious if anyone who has the fully adjustable BD Kit (not Sidekick), has removed the 3 degree timing key, or switched to the 2 or 1 degree key? I understand that this is a safety feature, designed to accommodate lower octane or inconsistent fuel, and allow higher boost at lower elevation. However, I always run a blend of 91 Non Ethanol and 100LL (typically 50/50). Also, I very rarely ride at elevations below 8500'. In my pro, I could run that 50/50 fuel mix at 11 PSI+ and no timing adjustment, w/o ever seeing Det. I guess my point is, if you don't retard timing theoretically sled should run better? Is there any benefit of running the timing key, if your fuel quality and elevation are safe for your level of boost? Thoughts?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Advancing the timing can make the sled leaner as well so make sure you account for that. IMO there there is performance lost when lowering the timing. I think BD tries to offset that by retarding the timing later in the RPMs.

Last edited:
J

jhillam

May 2, 2010
I have tested a similar fuel blend in the pro with and without the three degree progressive timing key and I concluded the key cost between 1-2psi of boost in wot performance. I did this at the recommendation of a Canadian turbo builder that was targeting lower charge temps and wanted most HP per boost possible for long chute climbs. My findings matched his. More timing made more power per boost level and a lower charge temp could be reached with similar power.

Applying the timing retard on a modern EFI two stroke with multiple fuel and timing map inputs is not as straight forward as declaring what the result will be. The Polaris ECU is making adjustments to fuel delivery, spark advance, and exhaust valve mode for throttle position, intake air temp, rpm, baro/MAP, exhaust temp, coolant temp, and deto if present. When retarding timing you exchange out cylinder pressure and heat (less) for exhaust pressure and heat (more). As a standalone adjustment this decreases the chance for detonation and it can actually make the throttle response between wot and half back to wot feel more "rippy" because the exhaust heat/pressure drive the turbo quickly. Advancing the timing increases heat and pressure in the cylinder while decreasing it on the exhaust pipe. The safe limit of that heat and pressure is the point at which detonation occurs. If you remove the key, your exhaust temp will drop and your ecu could remove fuel without you knowing it.

My advice is to test it across a hard pack field (low load condition) and run WOT with and without the key to measure your resulting rpm on the same pass. If you have an air fuel ratio guage watch it close both ways to avoid unexpected lean down of fuel. After doing all this I leave my timing retard key in on most rides and pull it hillside when I know I have good fuel and I want peak performance. Lacking good fuel the three degree retard is awesome at limiting detonation and is worth any penalty that comes with it.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Excellent info. All valid and valuable points, that match up to the theory that I have in my head. Being as that BD's key progressively retards the timing, I think that I will likely end up leaving it in. However, I'm definitely going to run some tests to see if there are performance gains to be had, w/o sacrificing motor safety. I'm beginning to wonder if the answer won't lie somewhere in the middle, with a 1 or 2 degree key.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Im not on a polaris so im not sure how different this might be but i have a 3 dagree advance key on the crankshaft and had the bd retarder on as well . i decided to pull the retarder out and try it works great i never did put the retarder back on. Throttle responce is noticably crisper.

Premium Features