• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse axys

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
The video looks good

Got any tighter riding videos?
Trees! I like treez. :face-icon-small-hap

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
Not getting any throwback you little punk. I've been modding sleds since you were in diapers. Having 20'000 posts doesn't make you an expert, just means you have way too much time on your hands. I've had sleds with welded together chaincases to get a drop and roll and holes cut in all over. I could care less if Silber would sell one kit. But I do know his stuff works, at least the ones I have ridden with. Impulse Is also just fine, but in this day and age a little extra thought and the kits can have a little less intrusiveness when installed. If I'm spending that kind of money why should it look like a back yard hack job. Ovs runs theirs out the bottom. I would think it wouldn't be hard.

So which "non hack job" turbo kit do you sell?

I've owned many different turbos and have thrown a leg over just about every kind out there and one thing I know for certain..... Impulse kits are not hack jobs by any stretch of the imagination! Fit and finish, quality parts, and amazing customer service are just a few of the ways I would explain the Impulse experience. But hey, it is a free country, so you just keep up the keyboard racing my friend...

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sounds like its running great.... dang that thing is loud though

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
We have kits available. Several on the snow. This sled is so much fun. Light, , crazy power, easy to handle. I can honestly say I can tell a significant difference in the weight savings by how easy these are to get unstuck. I know it sounds silly, but its true lol.
We finally have the tuning where we need it to be. Its taken longer than I anticipated, but we're there. Throttle response is amazing. And all the tuning bugs are worked out. It's just a boost happy engine in a crazy light sled. The only thing I'm debating on is to 174 mine. This stock 163 is a fun little track. We have a buddy with our kit and a 174 and he can definitely climb the highest, but for all around riding maybe this 163 is the way to go. Plus 70 mph track speed at 10 psi is always fun with a 163.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
still having to send a pipe to you guys to modify? any future plans to do any ignition timing changes in the mapping??

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
On the doo Impuse kit I have recorded a fair amount of 30plus seconds of wot.. And reed life has never yet been an issue

If you look at Paul's kit how he has shortened and straitened the charge tube from turbo to air box.. I also seen a 50degree drop in charge temps when I did this same upgrade to the aero kit.. Higher velocity, less restriction, quicker spool and less heat build up

Now look at the other turbo charge tube kits with over triple the length and multiple nintys out there that are using intercoolers and w/a needed to drop there temps, spool up suffers and added weight at the sacrifice of performance :eyebrows:

Zeb What elevation and how long of WOT pull was 110 degrees? I have burned up a set of reeds with a couple 30+ second WOT pulls on my sled with the same turbo and air to air intercooler at 9.5psi of boost.
How are you able to keep charge temps that low and consistent when other kits can't? What are you doing different? Is it in the tuning or what? I am interested in your kit but from experience I have a hard time not going with a kit with a water to air interooler for more power, consistency, and reed life, for similar price kits.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO...

So many factors outside of charge tube volume and routing have an effect on charge temps.... so, unless you have eliminated other factors like turbo selection and turbine/compressor wheels, exhaust design etc etc... hard to say that plays a huge in heating the air... as long as the airflow remains relatively laminar... you will not add much heat to the charge temps....

The Impulse design is very clean... I'm not a fan of the loud exhaust and WG dump... but a very clean design and fabrication. I've heard good things about them from the people that have plunked down their cash on these.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The video looks good

Got any tighter riding videos?
Trees! I like treez. :face-icon-small-hap

Personally I would like to hear that sled from 2000 to 5000 rpm. It sounds like it is starting to get a fat coming around that tree as it slows. I am hopeful that turbos get to a point that they are total "sleepers" until you hit 5000+ rpm. Not knocking it as it may be good, just don't think the video showed "off the line" crispness. It did sound good "on" boost though.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Personally I would like to hear that sled from 2000 to 5000 rpm. It sounds like it is starting to get a fat coming around that tree as it slows. I am hopeful that turbos get to a point that they are total "sleepers" until you hit 5000+ rpm. Not knocking it as it may be good, just don't think the video showed "off the line" crispness. It did sound good "on" boost though.

Personally, I'm not too concerned what a turbo is doing that far below engagement RPM.

Most engage at 3500 + (many above 4000).

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Personally, I'm not too concerned what a turbo is doing that far below engagement RPM.

Most engage at 3500 + (many above 4000).

Really, often turbos kill the bottom end, right from idle up they can fall on their face. Sure they are not supposed to but this is what has turned me off them in the past. And yes I know it is all about tuning but sometimes this cannot be tuned out depending on the design of the kit. And yes I did own one and have ridden others. Some okay but none perfect.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Really, often turbos kill the bottom end, right from idle up they can fall on their face. Sure they are not supposed to but this is what has turned me off them in the past. And yes I know it is all about tuning but sometimes this cannot be tuned out depending on the design of the kit. And yes I did own one and have ridden others. Some okay but none perfect.
Agreed. I would give up some top end, for a factory like crisp no hesitation instant bottom end . From what I'm reading and hearing this is where the MNTCK shines

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah

Ummmmmm ya.... zero lag on the Impulse Kit
As far as the vid goes, you can't chop the throttle on Hook Chute or you will end up in the bottom in a pile vs blasting out the top

Premium Features