• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can i put a small turbo in a 1990s indy 500 efi?

S
Jul 8, 2015
I just want some knowledge for a project that may or may not happen in the far future. ( I know nothing about turbos)
If i were to buy a 1990s indy 500 efi and turn it into a mountain mod, could i use this mini turbo to give it a little more power? ( http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_rhb31_vz21_turbocharger/ ) I see that you can buy what looks like everything i need to do an install. what would all have to be done to get it installed and working, is it easy to do? And is it kinda worth it? And is it big enough or not?
Again, i know hardly nothing about turbos so be easy on me.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Sounds fun. Yes it would work and if you have a descent understanding of how to tune naturally aspirated you could prob get it to work. Might not get great throttle response. But would be fairly easy to tune for wot pulls.
BUT the down side is if you dont lower compression best your gonna get is 120hp. If yoj did lower compression and went with the one size bigger turbo you could prob get 140hp. Needless to say youd be money better spent buying a 700 or 800.

M
Jan 2, 2016
Not trying to high jack this post but I was wondering how difficult to put a turbo on 1999 rmk 700 without having to run race gas wantI got to build a full mountain mod out of one

S
Jul 8, 2015
Not trying to high jack this post but I was wondering how difficult to put a turbo on 1999 rmk 700 without having to run race gas wantI got to build a full mountain mod out of one

Like I said I don't know much about turbos but I do know from reading that turbocharging a carbureted snowmobile is pretty tricky

S
Jul 8, 2015

And also if you could start your own thread that would be better so I can get my information and you could get yours.

klpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
seattle
Contact John at Pierre's Polaris in Kenmore, WA. He ran them back in the day very successfully. May not be worth the time and money in my opinion... but cool anyway.

Premium Features