• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Street bike engine in a motocross frame?

M
Oct 26, 2008
Has anyone tried a R1 engine in an aluminum bike frame for a snow bike? I have a R1 Raptor project that I'm thinking of scrapping for this project. I'm thinking of possibly installing it in a clean cr250f chassis I have. It is a high horse 2004 R1 engine with Graves Ti pipes and programmer. Any input would be great? :face-icon-small-coo

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Has anyone tried a R1 engine in an aluminum bike frame for a snow bike? I have a R1 Raptor project that I'm thinking of scrapping for this project. I'm thinking of possibly installing it in a clean cr250f chassis I have. It is a high horse 2004 R1 engine with Graves Ti pipes and programmer. Any input would be great? :face-icon-small-coo
There is some video of a member here with a gsxr 750 that looks pretty fun. And then not long ago there was gsxr 1000 for sale i believe, was put into a frame for hill climbing, then they added the track.

Anyways, they look fun with high hp, but I worry about weight as do other members. Most bikes people love them for how they maneuver and get through the trees etc. Large engine like that, if you can keep weight decent it could be a lot of fun, but personally I would probably put a long track on it, and you would need even stiffer springs. It might in the end not be any more fun than a 450 in some conditions. But it would be a risk you would take. I think just building the bike, getting it into that frame would be a ton of fun in and of itself.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
That might be a bad idea , the question would be do you think that the 250 skid would be able handle that kind of power when they already have a problem over flexing the frames they come in ?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'd like to find a happy medium... something that is in between the two. The aprilia comes to mind for one. The idea of having a snowbike that is heavier than my sleds seems ridiculous to me, not a chance I'd go for that.

Find me something that is 30 lbs heavier but makes 100 hp though and I'd be interested... I'll take one of these in a dirt frame... and never be heard from again ;)

We'll see how many recognize this. This is what I see as the ideal powerplant for a snowbike.

Bimota%20500%20V%20Due%20%201.jpg

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I am surprised someone doesnt take an 800cc twin sled engine and fit that into a frame. Then you have 150ish horsepower, cvt.

I saw where someone had done this to a polaris 4x4 quad in colorado a few years ago and they said it was a beast.

Maybe it would be too wide with a primary clutch on one side and a recoil on the other. For u really creative and capable fabricators, how about a sprocket on the crank driving a primary clutch via a shaft etc. replace the recoil with a kickstarter.

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
A more resonable solution would be mounting the engine longitudinaly. That would be a really narrow the engine package.
The CVT in front and a bevel gearbox in rear.
Jackshaft above the engine.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
It isn't as if making a Vtwin 2 stroke is some grand engineering feat, the bimota 500, honda NSR 500 (a 4 cylinder v)... making a motor ideal for this application is easy, it's a matter of understanding the demand.

The funny part is this is just starting to grow, the whole "if you build it they will come" thing is HUGELY applicable right now. The way the bikes are, they're really fun, but if you build a bike that actually makes sense for this application, things will change fast.

Even without this, I'll bet that in 5-8 years 1/2 of the new snow purchases are bikes/ kits. I can already see the change suddenly swinging here, not sure about other places, but it's going to catch faster and faster imo. Obviously some innovation will speed that up.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Heck with CVT, dual clutch is the way to go.

Bikes vs Sleds, figure that will shake out about like atv vs bikes. However stupid, some folks just don't have the balls or brains to ride a bike.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
LOL , I'm one of those guys , must be because she keeps my balls in her purse . Besides riding a one ski that most claim is just to heavy to ride I also ride a KFX 700 that is also a heavy pig because it's a v-twin .

It's a disease that can only be fixed by a combination of ponies and torque :face-icon-small-hap

IMG_20150704_133341_514.jpg

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Far as I know the Suzuki/Arctic Cat motor has separate cylinders for their 800. So a fuel injected v-twin wouldn't take much to make happen.

V-twin would be cool, but it's really the CVT as much as anything that's making stuff wide.

Honda has the dual clutch down with autoshift. No CVT = no gyroscope.

Seems people have it in their head the bike can't be any wider than they are now, and that's fine.

But why can't we have bikes with deferent track widths right along with deferent horsepower and weight options?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Aaen has quite the two stroke set up . Poo was playing with free air proto types back in the days when all they had was free air and fan cooled .

V4_engine.jpg

whistlerhawk

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2008
Whistler BC
A lot of sportbikes now have clutchless full-power upshifts with auto-blip downshifts (eg Ducati Panigale etc). You can then hamfist through the gears at leisure with no need to physically unwind the throttle as it is all down electronically, through spark retarding and valve timing. There may be no need for a CVT under this scenario. If a 205Hp Panigale can do this with race rubber on asphalt, should be no problem for a snowbike.

Premium Features