• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time to the mountains, what's your opinion

K
Dec 6, 2014
ND
This will be my first trip to the mountains and first snowmobile trip in 10 years. Trying to decide between kilm gtx adrenaline, fxr renegade tall, and fxr x cross with BOA boots. Also what gear do you pack in your backpack and tunnel bag. What is the best tunnel bag for a 04 summit.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
klim boots and carry everything incase you have to spend the night.food,water,tent,blanky,lighter,condoms.ect...

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Condoms Snowmobiler??? I thought you brokeback mountain types all barebacked it. haha

K
Dec 6, 2014
ND
I have a buddy who said he likes to wear insulated work boots sometimes... How important is the extra ankle support from the klim boots?

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have had Klim and HMK boots and now am wearing the Motofist boots. I like them the best. I believe a good pair of boots and good moisture wicking socks and two good pair of gloves can make or break your weekend. Thats where I would start.

K
Dec 6, 2014
ND
I sold the sled cause of kids and don't like riding around on the rock hard drifts and cold wind of the Prairie that much.

Mainly trying to decide on the klim gtx adrenaline, or the new fxr renegade tall, which is half price of klim. First time to the mountains so not sure what will be best.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Depends on budget. Klim is the best IMO and will keep you dry. But it is intended to be layered. There are some thermal versions but it's mostly made for riding. So if you expect to not be in a physical workout, you might bring some other warm gear to layer up with.

FXR and HMK can be had in a breathable version as well but not near the quality of Klim or Motorfist.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
This will be my first trip to the mountains and first snowmobile trip in 10 years. Trying to decide between kilm gtx adrenaline, fxr renegade tall, and fxr x cross with BOA boots. Also what gear do you pack in your backpack and tunnel bag. What is the best tunnel bag for a 04 summit.

I'd go with the Klim boots. Mountain Addiction bags are great and your stuff will not get wet.

Make sure you drink plenty of water.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Second pair of Klim Adrenaline Boots for me. They work great, keep your feet DRY and I have never been cold or too hot in them. The new pair I just got, I went with the new BOA's. I have two rides on them and the BOA system is a nice upgrade. You can tighten them down pretty good and you are in and out of them quick!!!

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
10 years and a LOT of riding before my Klim GTX boots finally gave out (i.e. started to leak). Bought the exact same boots again. You will not be disappointed with these.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
No matter what you do for boots and gloves, bring a GOOD boot and glove drier with!

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I have a buddy who said he likes to wear insulated work boots sometimes... How important is the extra ankle support from the klim boots?

Not very important IMO. I've rode almost exclusively with insul hunting boots for the last 15+ years. Use my snowboard boots once in a while too.
If you're going to be doing 40' drops then yeah ankle support is a really big deal but otherwise , meh. As long as your feet are dry and warm that's 90% of the battle.

D
Feb 22, 2008
Chelan WA.
Whatever brand clothing/boots you get... Dress in layers, carry essentials/
prepare to spend the night out, understand the area you ride and have fun!
BTW I also like Klim gear.

Premium Features