• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro 800 - Overheating due to throttle hesitation (by rider LOL)

heidij21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Hey everyone!

I have a 2013 Pro800 and haven't been out yet this season but wanting to get some advice. This machine is a little big for me in that I'm a bit, OK...extremely, hesitant with the throttle. I had a machine before that was a 700 and didn't seem like enough in terms of how I was progressing on it. I rode this machine last year (I bought it used) and overheated it repeatedly. Come to find out, I was basically never putting full throttle on the machine and therefore having a hard time keeping it cool. I have ice scrapers on the machine as well atleast to help on the groomers. Besides of course getting some guts and hitting the throttle more (I'm trying LOL!), are there any recommendations from anyone? I know this will be an amazing machine for me once I'm not so nervous with it and working on my upper body strength as well.

Thanks for any advice!!
Heidi

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Two strategies:

1) mechanical-- add an additional cooler (cost prohibitive) or the $28 bypass thermostat off a ski doo (look for threads here) which will reduce engine temps

2) rider input-- learn to pin-- and release-- the throttle to spin the track and throw ice/ snow on the coolers to help cool down. When you hesitate with the throttle, the track grabs and pushes you forward-- increasing speed. You need to pin it to the bar in quick stabs to spin the track and throw snow.

Pin it- release it-- pin it and so on....

Or.

Pin it- release it-- grab/ release brake- pin it-- release- and so on

This method will reduce the sleds ability to increase ground speed (and scare/intimidate the rider)

Jump to the trail edge if you can grab more loose snow.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Order a snow flap from a 2016 Axys with a 3" track. Its longer, soild, and curved back towards the track. This flap will help the sled keep snow on the coolers and make it run cooler.
You could also add scratchers the the skis to go along with your rear suspension scratchers.

As for the sled operating part, you dont have to run wide open, just ride a little faster to get the RPM up and always look for soft snow to run through. Eric

heidij21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Thanks to you both! That's actually part of the problem (I was told anyway) - that even in loose snow, I dont seem to get the RPM high enough. So...pinning it and letting off almost immediately will help the track spin without picking up too much speed?

You know...my husband just tells me to pin it so thanks to you both for your help and advice :)

TommyF

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2010
Strasburg, Colorado
If you haven't already, get the suspension set up for your weight and riding style. Upper body strength will help, but a properly set up suspension will make the sled much easier to get on edge and turn. Counter steer to get the sled to turn instead of trying to pull the sled over. Another option is to go to a narrowing front.

As far as cooling, the above replies are dead on. Need to spin the track enough to get snow up to the cooler.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
In the spring I change my clutching to increase rpm while riding for cooling. This doesn't increase mph just rpm which moves more coolant and oil in the engine. Helps in the trees and other low speed stuff with temperatures.

Possibly you could get someone to install a different secondary spring (180- something) and maybe 2 gr lighter weights since you rarely keep it WFO. This MAY be enough depending on where and in what you ride.

Really though, you may have bought the wrong sled as the Pro is meant for deep and aggressive riding. Even aggressive riding in marginal snow needs your attention.
There are plenty of methods to change it's original purpose (extra cooler is one) and the stock cooling can be improved with TRS's thermostat-bypass change.
So, if you wish to not worry about temp on a Pro, really you have to add up the #'s ($'s) and decide. Different sled or mod this one to suit your needs.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
A rider much better than myself gave me this piece of advice when I was learning on a dragon... "It's not a Ferrari, it won't go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, so give it the gas and feel it surf."

Don't go Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Instead go Braaap Brap BRAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAP Brap BRAAAP etc.

Premium Features