• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

clutching changes with gearing down

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
when a pro is geared down with either new drivers or new gears, do clutching changes need to be made? or are the clutching specs still valid?

I have a ’14 pro that has stock clutching and I just installed 7 tooth drivers and a new track. I was going to install clutching for 8000ft because most of my riding is there and above. i was going to do 60gm weights and black/purple secondary spring.

thanks

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
when a pro is geared down with either new drivers or new gears, do clutching changes need to be made? or are the clutching specs still valid?

I have a ’14 pro that has stock clutching and I just installed 7 tooth drivers and a new track. I was going to install clutching for 8000ft because most of my riding is there and above. i was going to do 60gm weights and black/purple secondary spring.

thanks
What do you have now? Mine is 62g stock. I put 64s in but did head and can at the same time. Im still a little high at 8300ish. I dont think i would go lighter. If anything heavier because the gearing would cause less load on the motor. Please somebody tell me if my thinking is wrong

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
What do you have now? Mine is 62g stock. I put 64s in but did head and can at the same time. Im still a little high at 8300ish. I dont think i would go lighter. If anything heavier because the gearing would cause less load on the motor. Please somebody tell me if my thinking is wrong

I have 62g stock. stock spring. stock black spring in secondary. stock helix.
i was going to go to 60g, stock spring. black purple secondary spring. but now that I have essentially geared down by going to 7 tooth drivers, I don’t know if i should do those gearing changes??

JonezyBones

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2008
Colorado
Gearing down isn't going to affect your RPM. RPM is controlled by your primary weights in relation to your primary spring.

In a nutshell gearing down changes how your secondary shifts in relation to snow conditions. Its most effective to gear closer to what your actual desired top track speed would be. There is a lot more to the equation but just know that a gearing change wont effect RPM unless things were messed up to begin with.

So to answer your question, it depends on what RPM's your shooting for and what RPM's you see now.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I have 62g stock. stock spring. stock black spring in secondary. stock helix.
i was going to go to 60g, stock spring. black purple secondary spring. but now that I have essentially geared down by going to 7 tooth drivers, I don’t know if i should do those gearing changes??
Id say go ride it and see. Weights are easy to swap

Premium Features