• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How difficult to total a 2015 Pro RMK 163?

S
Nov 5, 2012
New to the forum and new to this sled. How tough are these machines from the standpoint of what would it take to wreck it so bad the that costs to fix are more than the machine? The reason I am asking is because I'm deciding on insurance, or not. Thanks.

A

Alaskanparret

Nov 25, 2011
With how cheap full coverage insurance is (only $20.54 here) it seems like a no brainer to just go ahead and get insurance.

Sled is stolen? no problem

Cartwheeled it down the mountain and bent the tunnel? taken care of

Got a little eager to ride and took it out for a spin before you really should have and found a nice stump? Insurance sure helps out...Just saying, could go on with the what if's of this sport for awhile.

When you spend thousands of dollars on a machine it just gives you peace of mind in a sense.

How easy are these machines to total? No clue, never totalled one, but as the saying is going nowadays the lighter they are making them, the easier they are to bend and or break!

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
Last year at 114 miles i took a rock up the tunnel, wrecked the tunnel, jackshaft and track. total repair quote was 8400.00. S.F. Insurance said to fix it. Changed the tunnel 2400.00, jackshaft 140.00 and the track 750.00. The Labor to repair these is extreme. I will not ride without insurance.

S
Nov 5, 2012
Quotes & Rationale

Thanks for the replies. Theme so far is a no-brainer for insurance.

Perhaps I should be asking a different question then, with quotes I have ranging from $200-1000+ a year, what is the recommended type of insurance and what should a practical quote $$ look like?

As an example, $200 with $1000 deductible for comprehensive would potentially cost $1200 minimum in a one accident year.

It seems theft and some other damage is covered under my home farm insurance policy if it is taken from my property or damaged there. While towing it, if I crash it or it is stolen my vehicle insurance should cover that (need to check this though). My medical coverage is good personally so I'm not worried about medical coverage on the snowmobile policy. So, in reality I might be paying for insurance for sled use away from my vehicle and home sporadically for about 4-5 months of the year. Realizing that it is a maximum $9000~ gamble, it seems that insurance could cost me $1000-$3000 over a 2-3 year period (if a few accidents happen) so why not save over $600 (in 3 years) on some insurance knowing that I have a track record of good safety with operating vehicles and I'm convinced the machine would normally only sustain a few thousand in damages. Am I off in this rationale?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Most insurance policies should be 250-500 per year for most folks, if you aren't in that range, you need to shop around. I'm paying 750 total for 4 sleds.

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
If u are willing to gamble $9000 on your track record go for it but I will keep buying insurance. $250 for full coverage for me is cheap insurance to me.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

U
Oct 26, 2014
Minnesota
Definately shop around. I was with Farmers insurance and paying $90 per month for two sleds.. that's $1080 per year. RIDICULOUS! Just switched all my insurance (house, autos, sleds, personal) over to USAA and they consider a snowmobile part of your auto policy. I now have the same coverage as my vehicle for medical payments etc.., with a $200 deductible (their only option for snowmobiles), and only pay $138 every six months for two sleds.

At the cost of a new sled $12k-$15k, having insurance is a no brainer

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Shop like was posted a bunch.
I was paying $20 a month for my 2012 Cat through State Farm. But is was a Cat. :)
I tried to get a quote for my Doos through Progressive last year (my auto carrier) and it was like $200 a month or something stupid.
I just switched my auto to Geico, it went from $170 a month to $70 a month for two full coverage vehicles, my wife switched onto my policy (from State Farm)and is saving another $50 a month.
I need to get my sheet insured, it affects how I ride. :(

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Definately shop around. I was with Farmers insurance and paying $90 per month for two sleds.. that's $1080 per year. RIDICULOUS! Just switched all my insurance (house, autos, sleds, personal) over to USAA and they consider a snowmobile part of your auto policy. I now have the same coverage as my vehicle for medical payments etc.., with a $200 deductible (their only option for snowmobiles), and only pay $138 every six months for two sleds.

At the cost of a new sled $12k-$15k, having insurance is a no brainer

you may want to rethink switching carriers, i have totaled several sleds the treatment i received from foremost ins. (farmers) was awesome all though the premium was more the coverage was by far the best i've ever seen, my sons 11 pro 800 155 was totaled due to a bent tunnel, it had 6700 miles on it and they paid out 9200.00 dollars last march and that was minus the 500 deductible, so i received a check for 9200 dollars on a 4 yr old sled. gieco didn't even pay low book on on of my cats.

Last edited:
S
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks for the insurance info. At one carrier I was quoted $430 for 2 sleds with $500 deductible. My original rationale was based on if a sled was damaged, between paying the deductible and insurance during the year you're actually paying out 10% of one sled value each year. Granted, that is a scenario with a wreck and isn't as much as the full damage payment but if typical damage is more like $1000-3000 then it may be worth gambling with no insurance saving the money for repairs or a new sled. That is why I asked the original question about how hard it is to total. It sounds like high dollar damage is too common though, so probably not worth the gamble.

Also, I consider it somewhat of a health insurance policy to not have insurance on the sled because then I won't be driving it in some careless way that might hurt me. :face-icon-small-hap

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I was hit by another snowmobile on the trail going back to the truck, sled was totalled with 500miles and not my fault.
Insurance gave me what i paid for it.

GS6

lbakki

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2010
I use allstate

Allstate is cheap and they let you pay monthly and cancel when not riding season. Good coverage also.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
you may want to rethink switching carriers, i have totaled several sleds the treatment i received from formost ins. (farmers) was awesome all though the premium was more the coverage was by far the best i've ever seen, my sons 11 pro 800 155 was totaled due to a bent tunnel, it had 6700 miles on it and they paid out 9200.00 dollars last march and that was minus the 500 deductible, so i received a check for 9200 dollars on a 4 yr old sled. gieco didn't even pay low book on on of my cats.
With 6700mi you already got your money out of that sled! I'll go on a limb and guess it will be a rarity to get that much for a clapped out sled unless you insure it for an stated value.
If not, then you got the best out of that deal.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Thanks for the insurance info. At one carrier I was quoted $430 for 2 sleds with $500 deductible. My original rationale was based on if a sled was damaged, between paying the deductible and insurance during the year you're actually paying out 10% of one sled value each year. Granted, that is a scenario with a wreck and isn't as much as the full damage payment but if typical damage is more like $1000-3000 then it may be worth gambling with no insurance saving the money for repairs or a new sled. That is why I asked the original question about how hard it is to total. It sounds like high dollar damage is too common though, so probably not worth the gamble.

Also, I consider it somewhat of a health insurance policy to not have insurance on the sled because then I won't be driving it in some careless way that might hurt me. :face-icon-small-hap

Well it's a risk vs reward thing. How much do you use it? How often do you think oh shat I almost wrecked the crap out of that? How likely to get stolen where you live or stay when riding? How much can u fix yourself? And can I afford to lose the bet if I lose?
Based on these questions I don't insure the sleds, wheeler, bike, but I don't have a ton of $ into them comparatively speaking either.
Liability insurance is another debate that I won't get into.
If you're asking how durable a Pro is, I dunno, haven't wrecked mine yet, but I'm certain it's about the same as any sled.

Premium Features