• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6 track on a Pro

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
2.6 track on a Pro.

7 tooth Avids or stick with 8 tooth and trim the outer lugs on the track?

Apparently the 2.6 will fit on a Pro with 8 tooth. There is a couple Axys that have been switched from 7 to 8's. That sled has a little more room under the tunnel. Fitting and being efficient are two different things.

Or does anyone have another idea or thought??

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Also for all you guys that have switched was there any weight savings vs the 5.1 series track?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I am not worried about gearing. I am geared down already. I am more concerned about clearance. Remember the 2.86 7 tooth are small, smaller than the 3" counterpart. Will it affect the efficiency??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO.

The new drum-molded single ply tracks are much more flexible than what many have come to know in the past.... no issue with a 7 tooth driver... sure a 9 tooth driver may have a small advantage... but not, IMO, significant enough to outweigh the benefits of the better clearance.

IMO, go with the 7 tooth and get the clearance advantage.

Plus... on top of that... line the front block off plate and roll-around to the roof of the tunnel to where the coolers end in the front in 1/16" or 1/32" thick x 15" wide (approx) teflon sheet that you can get at industrial supply shops.... hold it up with aluminum large head rivets... you will see zero "plaque" build up at the front roof/exit of the tunnel and keep the clearance that you see when you are warm/dry.

Good luck... let us know how it works out.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
3lb lighter!

What was your numbers? I weigh my 2.6 155 and came up with 47 lbs I don't know how accurate my scale is and I won't be able to weigh my old track till December.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
what does the effective ratio change to going from 8 tooth drivers down to 7?

thanks

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
Since I've already got a gear down, I'm going to try it with the 8 tooth first and see how it goes. Was going to wait till next year but what the hell, it's only money. Lol

The way I figure it vs stock 2.4 w/8 tooth, everyone is in love with the X3 and 7 tooth drivers. The drivers gain .3" of clearance, the track takes away .6". So the tip is .3" closer to the coolers/tunnel than stock. The 2.6 will be .2 closer. Less room than stock, more than the X3. Less of a bend radius and less rotating mass. Whether any of that means anything or not is yet to be determined. But I'll know for sure before swapping to the smaller drivers if I choose.

Will know in a few weeks. Going to ride it stock next weekend so I have a same year ride comparison.

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
Outlaw keep us posted on the difference. Have a 15 pro 163 thinking of going to the 2.6 without changing drivers as I also have gear down done. Very interested to know how it goes!

fugly27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
British Columbia
Since I've already got a gear down, I'm going to try it with the 8 tooth first and see how it goes. Was going to wait till next year but what the hell, it's only money. Lol

The way I figure it vs stock 2.4 w/8 tooth, everyone is in love with the X3 and 7 tooth drivers. The drivers gain .3" of clearance, the track takes away .6". So the tip is .3" closer to the coolers/tunnel than stock. The 2.6 will be .2 closer. Less room than stock, more than the X3. Less of a bend radius and less rotating mass. Whether any of that means anything or not is yet to be determined. But I'll know for sure before swapping to the smaller drivers if I choose.

Will know in a few weeks. Going to ride it stock next weekend so I have a same year ride comparison.
I put the 2.6 on my 2011 . Took it for a ride yesterday, there was about five feet of nice fluffy dry pow and the track was significantly better than the 2.4. it got the sled on top of the snow faster. I kept the 8 tooth drivers, I didn't feel any track rubbing on the tunnel so far.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Was in at the dealer the other day I was surprised how much longer the paddles looked on the 2.6 vs my 2.4. Pretty noticeable difference sitting on the floor.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Well after Curt @ Fastrax modified my chaincase and ordered the 7 tooth. I discovered the 7 tooth 2.86 driver was smaller than my shriveled up 40 year old gonads.

The 8 tooth stayed on and I am doing the TRS mod. There is no way you can convince me those little drivers are more efficient. I don't care what space age materials they use.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Well after Curt @ Fastrax modified my chaincase and ordered the 7 tooth. I discovered the 7 tooth 2.86 driver was smaller than my shriveled up 40 year old gonads.

The 8 tooth stayed on and I am doing the TRS mod. There is no way you can convince me those little drivers are more efficient. I don't care what space age materials they use.
All the new axys riders dont seem to mind

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Why do Kurts and a couple other places have 8 tooth on sleds already?

When the track was tested on a pro it was done with 8 tooth. What about change in attack angle going to 7 tooth? That has not been discussed. Sticking with my plan, that's where I am comfortable.

Last edited:

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
Why do Kurts and a couple other places have 8 tooth on sleds already?

When the track was tested on a pro it was done with 8 tooth. What about change in attack angle going to 7 tooth? That has not been discussed. Sticking with my plan, that's where I am comfortable.

Attack angle is one consideration as to why I'm trying to stick to the 8 tooth. 7's are an inch smaller.

While it'll be tough to touch a track I just spent $1400 on (Canadian), if I find the clearance an issue, I'm thinking of doing TRS's mod trimming .1" at a time off of the lugs just wide enough to clear the coolers until I'm happy with it. Maybe even start with just every second lug. Lol

Premium Features